Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Sabin
Laureate

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Postby Sabin » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:16 am

Huh, with Stuhlbarg I was sure, but with Rockwell’s character I hadn’t really thought about it. He’s clearly a case study in repression and misdirected anger so it makes sense.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:57 am

OscarGuy wrote:I can't see how anyone doesn't see Dixon as a closet case. I thought this was fairly obvious.

Well, it might be hinted at (I certainly thought it about Dixon while I watched the film) but I’m not sure I would call it fairly obvious. Like this Stuhlbarg debate, it seems like you could make an argument either way.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:45 am

I can't see how anyone doesn't see Dixon as a closet case. I thought this was fairly obvious.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:38 am

CalWilliam wrote:I loved reading your discussion. When the film began I was alreadly deeply committed listening to the delightfully beautiful ''The Last Rose of Summer'' from the opera ''Martha'' by Friedrich von Flotow, the Thomas Moore poem that became a traditional Irish song. Its lyrics deals with one of the main themes of the movie, the sadness and compassion of those souls who inhabit the world and handle their own solitude, as well as the mourning for those departed. As you said, everyone knows each other in Ebbing from gossip, but they actually don't know who they really are or look like.

Spoilers from here on:

I thought without a doubt in my mind that Dixon's character was a closeted gay man, it was clear when he reads the letter in the police station, although fortunately this is not relevant in any way, it's just another layer of this wonderful character. I should check again, though. I would say that he didn't throw away Red only because of his rage for Willoughby's suicide, but also for his possible love for him, which is kind of showed during their shared hospital scene. It's really compelling the way McDonagh builds its narrative and its characters, allowing the audience to fully understand these characters without judging them for their -sometimes- despicable behaviour. They are complex and we shouldn't take them for granted.

The performances are outstanding and I completely endorse McDormand and Rockwell winning Oscars next March, but wouldn't it be more adequate if Rockwell were cited in the leading category, given how competitive supporting is this year? What's your opinion about this? I buy arguments of him being supporting too, but his is a very co-lead role, specially as of the film's second half. I would like to read your opinions on this matter.

He could be considered a co-lead, definitely - though Supporting isn't a category fraud of unbearable proportions. Ironically, from what I read on this board, he could more easily win in Leading. Which, by the way, says alot about Willem Dafoe's performance in The Florida Project (not yet seen by me) - if it's better than Rockwell's (which I consider one of the best by an actor in an American movie in the last, say, five years), it must be exceptional.

CalWilliam
Graduate

Postby CalWilliam » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:02 am

I loved reading your discussion. When the film began I was alreadly deeply committed listening to the delightfully beautiful ''The Last Rose of Summer'' from the opera ''Martha'' by Friedrich von Flotow, the Thomas Moore poem that became a traditional Irish song. Its lyrics deals with one of the main themes of the movie, the sadness and compassion of those souls who inhabit the world and handle their own solitude, as well as the mourning for those departed. As you said, everyone knows each other in Ebbing from gossip, but they actually don't know who they really are or look like.

Spoilers from here on:

I thought without a doubt in my mind that Dixon's character was a closeted gay man, it was clear when he reads the letter in the police station, although fortunately this is not relevant in any way, it's just another layer of this wonderful character. I should check again, though. I would say that he didn't throw away Red only because of his rage for Willoughby's suicide, but also for his possible love for him, which is kind of showed during their shared hospital scene. It's really compelling the way McDonagh builds its narrative and its characters, allowing the audience to fully understand these characters without judging them for their -sometimes- despicable behaviour. They are complex and we shouldn't take them for granted.

The performances are outstanding and I completely endorse McDormand and Rockwell winning Oscars next March, but wouldn't it be more adequate if Rockwell were cited in the leading category, given how competitive supporting is this year? What's your opinion about this? I buy arguments of him being supporting too, but his is a very co-lead role, specially as of the film's second half. I would like to read your opinions on this matter.
"Rage, rage against the dying of the light". - Dylan Thomas

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 am

Uri wrote:
Marco's love is a though love. I should know.

I am not too sweet, true... but that could get boring after a while, right? Plus, those whom I love here know it, even if I am not always tender... :wink:

Uri
Adjunct

Postby Uri » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:52 am

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote: my friend Malaya who played the female news reporter in the film.

I LOVE YOU! :D

That’s a first. Thanks!

Marco's love is a though love. I should know.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:09 pm

flipp525 wrote:We’ll always have Catherine Keener in Capote ;-)

:D

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:08 pm

We’ll always have Catherine Keener in Capote ;-)
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:38 pm

flipp525 wrote:Sorry, I decided to read that earnestly.

But really, I wasn't completely joking.

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm

Sorry, I decided to read that earnestly.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:17 pm

flipp525 wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
flipp525 wrote: my friend Malaya who played the female news reporter in the film.

That’s a first. Thanks!

Well but you know, come on... :)

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:54 pm

ITALIANO wrote:

That’s a first. Thanks!

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:52 pm

At least, an American movie which is creative, original, unpredictable, and EVEN intelligent. Not a masterpiece. It has its flaws, I know. But nowadays when I go to see a movie I always expect I'll be disappointed, and I'm grateful when, like in this case, I am not.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:02 pm

Return to “2017”