Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:10 am

Sabin wrote:
Big Magilla wrote
As much as I'd like to, I can't completely rule out Streep, but Lawrence- no, Chastain- no, Stone - unless her film's box office is through the roof, no, as well.

Magilla, I'm with you on Jessica Chastain by virtue of the trailer, but why are you ruling out Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone? If Jennifer Lawrence can get a nomination for Joy, why not Mother! and Emma Stone looks fantastic in her film.

If anything, I think Judi Dench looks far shakier.

As Precious says, the trailer for Mother! looks awful. Enough with these ridiculous nominations for the over-rated Lawrence. Stone just won. Although a repeat nod for the previous year's winner is something that often occurs, in a year when the competition is as strong as it is this year, it's a bit tougher. As I said, though, if the box-office for her film goes through the roof, and it may, her chances will increase. Right now, I think the winner will be someone who hasn't won before - either Bening or Hawkins with Dench, McDormand and Winslet the likeliest repeaters. Then there's Ronan, who is clearly in the mode of sweet young things the Academy prefers to give its top honor to.

Bening would be the first "mature" winner since Julianne Moore, her co-star in The Kids Are Alright for which she was last nominated. There's that, plus some residual guilt for her failure to be nominated last year for 20th Century Women. Then there's that swoon-worthy Gloria Grahame voice she perfects in Film Stars, too delicious to be ignored.

Hawkins, at 41, would be the fourth best actress nominee in a mute performance in a talkie. All three previous nominees - Jane Wyman, Marlee Matlin and Holly Hunter won, so there's history on her side.

This could be one of those years in which the suspense lasts until the envelope is opened, provided, of course, that the avalanche of precursors doesn't coalesce around one actress early on.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:38 am

Rosemary's Baby picked up nominations for Best Supporting Actress and Adapted Screenplay at the Oscars and those two plus Drama Actress and Original Score at the Globes.

Am I the only one who has seen the full trailer for mother! and not immediately thought that everything seems to be playing out like a more gory cousin of Rosemary's Baby?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:13 am

Mother looks terrible from the trailer, which I am sick to death of seeing virtually every time I have gone to the cinema in the last 2-3 weeks. It also looks very far removed from what the Academy likes. It will need universal critical support and box office clout to gain any traction with the Academy.

My problem with Jennifer Lawrence is that has been often miscast in that she has been playing characters that should be older than she is because she never comes across as an adult woman. She has never been able demonstrate womanly maturity.

I'm talking about Silver Linings Playbook, American Hustle, Joy & Serena as evidence. Judging from the trailer of Mother she is meant to be Javier Bardem's girlfriend/wife? His old enough to be her father. I know Hollywood has been doing this for years, much younger leading ladies, but if there going to do that at least cast someone who can convincing play 'adult'.

Kathleen Turner was 27 when she played Matty Walker in Body Heat. Shelley Duvall was 28 when she played Millie Lammoreaxu in 3 Women. Lauren Bacall was 22 when she played Vivian Rutledge in The Big Sleep. Could anyone imagine that Jennifer Lawrence playing those role with the conviction that those actresses did.
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:46 am

Big Magilla wrote
As much as I'd like to, I can't completely rule out Streep, but Lawrence- no, Chastain- no, Stone - unless her film's box office is through the roof, no, as well.

Magilla, I'm with you on Jessica Chastain by virtue of the trailer, but why are you ruling out Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Stone? If Jennifer Lawrence can get a nomination for Joy, why not Mother! and Emma Stone looks fantastic in her film.

If anything, I think Judi Dench looks far shakier.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:19 pm

Big Magilla wrote:It's still five with Winslet, no need to hold a spot for Streep.

Of course, you're assuming they hold a spot for Dench, which, based on her film's reviews, I see as far less a given.

Hawkins/McDormand appear strongest based on reviews. Stone could easily join them if her film becomes a hit (which looks likely). Winslet stands to join them unless the buzz is wrong-er than it's ever been. Ronan is also a possibility, depending how widely popular her film becomes.

Beyond that, you have Streep/Lawrence/Chastain unseen, and Bening/Dench not completely out of it but basically competing for filler spots. (Of course, as we found out last year, sometimes a filler can box out a more-praised candidate.)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:59 pm

It's still five with Winslet, no need to hold a spot for Streep.

mlrg
Adjunct

Postby mlrg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:35 pm

Big Magilla wrote:With Bening, Dench, Hawkins, McDormand and Ronan already in Oscar's sights and Winslet breathing down their necks, is this the year voters will finally have had enough with reserving a spot for Meryl Streep?

I guess Bening isn't happening. So you have the other four plus Streep

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:28 pm

With Bening, Dench, Hawkins, McDormand and Ronan already in Oscar's sights and Winslet breathing down their necks, is this the year voters will finally have had enough with reserving a spot for Meryl Streep?

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:45 am

So, the story is, a few days ago, this Screen Daily review was accidentally posted early, then hastily withdrawn:

https://www.screendaily.com/reviews/thr ... 35.article

Someone at Awards Watch caught and posted it prior to the deletion. Its mixed/leaning negative tone persuaded all the fair-weather fans there to drop the film like a rock. Frances who?

But it turns out that reaction was hopelessly unrepresentative. This is getting mostly very enthusiastic response, especially for McDormand and long-long-overdue Sam Rockwell.

For example:

https://www.standard.co.uk/goingout/fil ... 26201.html

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:14 am

Add in Variety:

http://variety.com/2017/film/reviews/re ... 202546444/

Sabin is right, that best actress looks off-the-charts competitive (especially assuming the Winslet buzz is legit), but the reactions to Harrelson and Rockwell here, combined with those for Shannon/Jenkins in The Shape of Water, suggest supporting actor will be lively, as well.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:06 am

Best Actress looks to be competitive this year.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Precious Doll
Tenured

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri reviews

Postby Precious Doll » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:16 am

"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Return to “2017”