Beautiful Boy reviews

Mister Tee
Laureate

Re: Beautiful Boy reviews

Postby Mister Tee » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:41 am

Mister Tee wrote:Given the desultory critical response, I was ready to write this one off completely -- but it's having a startlingly strong opening weekend: estimated $325,000 at only 4 theatres. Year's biggest limited average. So maybe it has some life in acting categories.

Well, amend this. Either the original reports were erroneous, or the film did a nose-dive yesterday, because the estimate is now $225,000, for a $55,000 rather than $80,000 average. Still quite solid, and well above the disaster the film might have been, given reviews -- but no longer in the realm where the success level by itself could propel the film to awards consideration.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:56 pm

Given the desultory critical response, I was ready to write this one off completely -- but it's having a startlingly strong opening weekend: estimated $325,000 at only 4 theatres. Year's biggest limited average. So maybe it has some life in acting categories.

Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Postby Franz Ferdinand » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:06 pm

Beautiful Boy is the kind of movie that just simply doesn't pass the "what is the point of me watching this?" test. I felt much the same way about the director's earlier film The Broken Circle Breakdown, where I was presented with a deeply sobering subject (a couple losing their young child to a terminal illness) but hardly any fresh insight that would make the experience of watching two hours of heavy grieving worthwhile for my own life. Beautiful Boy deals with another pretty sobering subject -- drug addiction and the pain it can cause the addict's loved ones -- but at this point I've seen more than enough films about addicts, and I didn't feel that there was much about this family's story that made it unique enough to justify me sitting through it.

I also thought it was pretty repetitive stuff -- and I get that the cycle of recovering and slipping back into addiction IS repetitive for so many -- but the job of artists is to find some way to dramatize that that doesn't make the viewer feel like they're just watching the same narrative beat over and over again. For an addiction story, the movie is also very sanitized -- the friend I saw the movie with had read the book the son wrote, and hearing about the horrifying things he actually experienced made me wonder why the filmmakers excluded so much of what might have given the movie some impact. (The cynical answer there is, then maybe they wouldn't have gotten such a tasteful, middle-brow prestige pic.)

The film has obvious parallels to Boy Erased -- based on memoirs, rehab facilities, parents/son conflict, flashback structure. (The films could have easily swapped titles too.) While in the end I think both movies are more PSAs than works of art, I'd say Edgerton's film has a stronger narrative line, and simply by virtue of subject matter (there just haven't been as many creative works about conversion therapy as addiction) is able to find more fresh moments along the way.

Beautiful Boy is clear proof, though, that Call Me By Your Name wasn't a fluke -- Timothée Chalamet is obviously a young actor of great promise.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Beautiful Boy reviews

Postby Mister Tee » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:09 pm

Return to “2018”