The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Mister Tee
Laureate

Re: The VCR/DVR Alert Thread

Postby Mister Tee » Sun Nov 02, 2014 3:04 pm

TCM has a couple of, if not uncatchable, fairly rarely screened items coming in the next 48 hours or so.

Overnight -- 3:30-5:30 AM EDT -- is the Cocteau/Melville collaboration Les Enfants Terribles, which I coincidentally just watched through Netflix about a month or so ago. Well recommended.

Monday evening through overnight is a slew of notable silents, some of which people may not yet have seen: Pickford's Poor Little Rich Girl, Clara Bow's reputation-making It, Glorya Swanson's first Oscar nomination Sadie Thompson (I'll be interested to see how restored the final reel is; the version I saw was stills for the last half-hour), a Pola Negri film I've never heard of called The Wildcat, and the legendary Pandora's Box, Way Down East, and King Vidor's Show People.

It's not often you get a chance for a free look at such famous titles.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:12 pm

TCM shows Bob Rafelson's Mountains of the Moon at midnight tonight. This is a longtime favorite of mine. There's an old DVD of it, but it isn't very good quality. They may show an HD master tonight. Damien was a big fan as well.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Khartoum contains one of Olivier's best performances. The screenplay may not have been all that great, but 1966 was a weak year for original screenplays besides which Robert Ardrey, whose screenplays included those for such 1940s classics as The Green Years, The Secret Garden andMadame Bovary, may have been considered due by his writers' branch fellows.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:17 pm

I have not seen Khartoum, but something odd came across to me when I scanned its entry on IMDB. It is a costume epic that got its one Oscar nomination for its screenplay, without picking up any tech nominations.
"Wall Street is not the solution to our problem. Wall Street is the problem!"

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Hardly priority, but a heads-up for those who'd like to honest-vote in future screenplay years: TCM tonight at 8PM EDT is showing Khartoum, an original screenplay nominee in 1966.

I saw the film in a theatre back then, and have approximately zero recollection of it. It's in that Sweeping Historical Epic genre for which I have little love, but it's directed by the estimable Basil Dearden, so maybe it's a decent specimen.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:08 am

The Sniper is available on Netflix.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:41 pm

Two not-often-showns on TCM this week:

Tuesday night, 11:45 PM ET is Hester Street, with its Carol Kane best actress nomination.

Thursday early evening, 6:15 PM, is 1952's The Sniper, which people might want to track down, since it figures in the screenplay race for that year.

ksrymy
Adjunct

Postby ksrymy » Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Joan Fontaine's elusive The Constant Nymph airs tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. ET/ 8:00 a.m. PT.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:45 am

Wow, that really is one of the rare nominees I've been looking for. Thanks for the heads-up.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

mlrg
Adjunct

Postby mlrg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:04 am

Mister Tee wrote:I assume most of us keep an eye on TCM, particularly during this pre-Oscar month when they stick to only nominated films. For those still making inroads into the early nominee lists, a lot of rarely screened stuff has been turning up.

And, for me, one film that has been elusive over the past half-century has finally reared its head: The Mark, source of 1961's best actor-nominated performance by Stuart Whitman, will be shown this Friday at 1PM EST. I know, some have mentioned it's been available for sale in various places, but for those of us who don't care to spend $20 or more for a film we may not even like, this is a great opportunity.

It's also available around the web.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 pm

I assume most of us keep an eye on TCM, particularly during this pre-Oscar month when they stick to only nominated films. For those still making inroads into the early nominee lists, a lot of rarely screened stuff has been turning up.

And, for me, one film that has been elusive over the past half-century has finally reared its head: The Mark, source of 1961's best actor-nominated performance by Stuart Whitman, will be shown this Friday at 1PM EST. I know, some have mentioned it's been available for sale in various places, but for those of us who don't care to spend $20 or more for a film we may not even like, this is a great opportunity.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:30 am

The Story of Film is also available in its entirety on Netflix Instant.

FilmFan720
Tenured

Postby FilmFan720 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:26 pm

Greg wrote:
Mister Tee wrote:Oh, and, I know it's quite late to mention, but has anyone been watching The Story of Film series TCM has been running the past few months? The narrator/filmmaker can be opinionated at times, but he's opened my eyes to a good bit of film history of which I was unaware.

Do you mean, for instance, the tributes done by Shirley Jones for Burt Lancaster and John Waters for Vincent Price?

No Greg, it is a 16-hour documentary series on the history of cinema that has been running every Tuesday since September.

Tee, I have been loving the series. It is really one of the most comprehensive histories of cinema that I have encountered, but I love that it is also more than just names and dates...especially in the early years, when Cousins really gets into how editing and camerawork developed through films. As the series has gone on I have become less and less enchanted with it, but it is still required viewing.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Mister Tee wrote:Oh, and, I know it's quite late to mention, but has anyone been watching The Story of Film series TCM has been running the past few months? The narrator/filmmaker can be opinionated at times, but he's opened my eyes to a good bit of film history of which I was unaware.

Do you mean, for instance, the tributes done by Shirley Jones for Burt Lancaster and John Waters for Vincent Price?
"Wall Street is not the solution to our problem. Wall Street is the problem!"

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:32 pm

This thread's been kind of quiet lately, but a few things coming up today/tomorrow on TCM worth noting.

Tonight at 8PM they're shoiwng Mr. 880 -- a totally minor effort, but one not often shown, and featuring of course Edmund Gwenn's "other" nominated performance.

Tomorrow night, in salute to the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, they're showing several documentaries from the era. I'm most interested in seeing Crisis, which is about the White House response to the integration effort in the South (that is, the true-life version of what we saw in The Butler). But if you haven't seen it, I recommend Primary, which covers the Kennedy/Humphrey faceoff in the Wisconsin primary in early 1960. It's worth seeing of course simply for a view of JFK pre-deification, but also because, while the director is Robert Drew, listed as also working on the film are Ricky Leacock, Albert Maysles and D.A. Pennebaker -- in documentary terms, that's like finding home movies of a 1992 sandlot game with Jeter, ARod and Garciaparra ranging around the infield.

Oh, and, I know it's quite late to mention, but has anyone been watching The Story of Film series TCM has been running the past few months? The narrator/filmmaker can be opinionated at times, but he's opened my eyes to a good bit of film history of which I was unaware. TCM has also, in conjuction with the series, been running a ton of films that are otherwise hard to track down.

Return to “The First Century”