The VCR / DVR / Streaming Alert Thread

1895-1999
Greg
Tenured

Re: The VCR/DVR Alert Thread

Postby Greg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:03 pm

Mister Tee wrote:Oh, and, I know it's quite late to mention, but has anyone been watching The Story of Film series TCM has been running the past few months? The narrator/filmmaker can be opinionated at times, but he's opened my eyes to a good bit of film history of which I was unaware.

Do you mean, for instance, the tributes done by Shirley Jones for Burt Lancaster and John Waters for Vincent Price?
"Wall Street is not the solution to our problem. Wall Street is the problem!"

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:32 pm

This thread's been kind of quiet lately, but a few things coming up today/tomorrow on TCM worth noting.

Tonight at 8PM they're shoiwng Mr. 880 -- a totally minor effort, but one not often shown, and featuring of course Edmund Gwenn's "other" nominated performance.

Tomorrow night, in salute to the 50th anniversary of the Kennedy assassination, they're showing several documentaries from the era. I'm most interested in seeing Crisis, which is about the White House response to the integration effort in the South (that is, the true-life version of what we saw in The Butler). But if you haven't seen it, I recommend Primary, which covers the Kennedy/Humphrey faceoff in the Wisconsin primary in early 1960. It's worth seeing of course simply for a view of JFK pre-deification, but also because, while the director is Robert Drew, listed as also working on the film are Ricky Leacock, Albert Maysles and D.A. Pennebaker -- in documentary terms, that's like finding home movies of a 1992 sandlot game with Jeter, ARod and Garciaparra ranging around the infield.

Oh, and, I know it's quite late to mention, but has anyone been watching The Story of Film series TCM has been running the past few months? The narrator/filmmaker can be opinionated at times, but he's opened my eyes to a good bit of film history of which I was unaware. TCM has also, in conjuction with the series, been running a ton of films that are otherwise hard to track down.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:18 am

The disappointing thing about Journey to Italy airing last night is that it didn't air at all--Viaggio in Italia did. Which is to say, the version that dubs Ingrid Bergman and George Sanders--whose dialogue comprises the vast majority of the film--into Italian. Sure, the English version dubs the supporting characters--played by Italian speaking actors--into English, but they have very little dialogue anyway. A major disappointment, because the version I saw--the English language version, Journey to Italy--is easily one of the top ten or so movies of all time. Plus the English language version has an additional scene not in the Italian version.

Of course, this brings up the issue of what is the "correct" language for many of these Rossellini films. Most of Rossellini's films were shot with a scratch track and then dubbed later, and in many cases (especially later in his career), he never stayed around to oversee anything on post-production.

So you have something like Europa '51, which has Ingrid Bergman, Alexander Knox, and a few other actors speaking English, while the entire supporting cast--which actually has a fair amount of dialogue--spoke Italian. The English dubbing for those characters is quite bad indeed. Obviously having Bergman and Knox dubbed into Italian wouldn't be ideal, but certainly if/when Criterion puts that Bergman/Rossellini box set together, they need to give options to which version should be included. Fear was actually shot twice--once in English, once in German. (Not sure which version TCM showed--probably English.) Stromboli has an English version with Bergman's voice, and an Italian version where she's dubbed. Dramatically speaking, English makes more sense since one of the issues the heroine faces is that she can't communicate with the locals--something that's lost if she's speaking fluent Italian. Again, the Italian version here is shorter than the English version, although it's a slightly different assembly in general. (The miracle is more explicitly religious in the Italian version.)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:32 pm

Robinson Crusoe has been available on DVD for years. It was released under that title, not "The Adventures of..." for anyone who's interested.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:33 pm

All on TCM:

March 2, 7:00 AM (EST): The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe (Bunuel's 1954 version)

Plenty of warning on this one: March 15, TCM shows Roberto Rossellini's Stromboli, Europa '51, Journey to Italy, and Fear. These air back-to-back, starting at 8:00 PM. The first two have shown up on TCM in recent years, but I don't recall Journey to Italy ever showing up before, and I know Fear hasn't. Those two air at 12:00 midnight and 1:45 AM, respectively.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Postby Precious Doll » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:13 am

It's been available through Warners Archive's for sometime now.
“Those Koreans. They’re so suspicious, you know, ever since Hiroshima.” Constance Langdon (Jessica Lange) from American Horror Story: Season One

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:14 pm

Mike Kelly first mentioned this a month or two back, but to alert everyone to its imminence:

The 1929 version of The Letter, which got a best actress nomination for the legendary Jeanne Eagels, will be shown on TCM this Wednesday morning at 8:45 AM.

I'm not quite sure why they'd bury such a long-sought obscurity in such a time-slot, but it makes it easier for those of us still stuck in VCR-land to tape.

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:18 am

Mister Tee wrote:Here's one that, judging by the 1933 Best Actor thread, a whole lot of us are going to want to jump on:

Tuesday July 24th, 9:45 PM: Berkeley Square

This is the first TV airing of this I've come across since I signed on to this Oscar quest almost 50 years ago. Let's just hope no one famous dies between now and then to bump it.

Hopefully the print will be good. I've seen a copy of a dupe and it was pathetic. Could hardly see the actors' faces.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Here's one that, judging by the 1933 Best Actor thread, a whole lot of us are going to want to jump on:

Tuesday July 24th, 9:45 PM: Berkeley Square

This is the first TV airing of this I've come across since I signed on to this Oscar quest almost 50 years ago. Let's just hope no one famous dies between now and then to bump it.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:53 pm

I read through the detaled desciptions of some of teh films in TCM's 31 Days of Oscar and caught a couple of things that would have made the proof-reaer in Damien cringe.

There were more, but that had me rolling my eyes were The Razor's Edge for which they list Anne Baxter as having won the Oscar for "Best Actress" and The Happy Ending which they show as being from 1967 when it was barely ready for release at the end of 1969.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:17 pm

I'm guessing, from the near-silence around here, that alot are feeling like me: in the context of the great personal loss we've experienced, chattering about movies seems too trivial to go back to. Which of course is true and untrue at the same time. Going back to mundane reality after such a jolt will naturally feel shallow and even pointless. But the fact is, movies -- even on their most trivial level -- are why we all knew and cared for Damien.

So, in that spirit, let me touch down lightly on a film topic, and maybe start us back to a new normal.

TCM, on Thursday at 6PM, is showing Lies My Father Told Me, a film by Jan Kadar (of Shop on Main Street fame) that, for Oscar completists, was a nominee for best original screenplay in 1975. I saw the film in a class I was taking that Fall, and my long-ago recollection is it was a charming little thing. I do seem to recall it begins with a grisly over-the-credits song that you should not let put you off (the music, in general, I recall as being in the over-emphatic range). The drama is pretty heartfelt, and the lead performance of Yossi Yadin is quite effective. (Though I was somewhat disillusioned when he appeared as a guest in the class, and came off as an arrogant prick) I doubt most people under 40 will have ever heard of the film, but it's worth taking a look at.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm

Hope to catch The Tresspasser, but just realized that I am familiar with the property, having seen the 1937 remake, [i]That Certain Woman[/i, from the same director (Edmund Goulding) with Bette Davis, Henry Fonda, Ian Hunter and Donald Crisp.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:57 pm

Bump. A reminder about tomorrow.

Make sure you have plenty of space available on your DVR on December 14. (I don't care that much about the Kubrick, but am very psyched about This Spanish Earth, and the two early Oscar contenders, The Valiant and The Trespasser.)

http://www.tvweek.com/blogs/tvbizwire/2 ... k-rari.php

TCM Lands Stanley Kubrick Rarity for TV Debut EW
A rarely seen Stanley Kubrick film will make its world television debut, after TCM secured the movie for a special showing as part of a marathon honoring film preservation efforts, Entertainment Weekly reports.

The movie is "Fear and Desire," the director’s first feature film, from 1953. It will air Dec. 14 at 8 p.m., the story reports.

Kubrick, who went on to create landmark films including "2001: A Space Odyssey" and "A Clockwork Orange," was a young Look magazine photographer when he helmed "Fear and Desire." He called the effort "a bumbling amateur film exercise."

It was presented at the 1993 Telluride Film Festival, but has never been televised until now. TCM will show it as part of a 24-hour marathon honoring the preservation efforts of the Motion Picture Department at George Eastman House. The program, hosted by TCM’s Robert Osborne, will feature 15 film rarities.

Here’s the schedule for the marathon, starting Dec. 14:

6:15 a.m. -- The Blue Bird (1918)
7:45 a.m. -- The Valiant (1929)
9 a.m. -- The Spanish Earth (1937)
10 a.m. -- The Trespasser (1929)
11:45 a.m. -- The Moon and Sixpence (1942)
1:30 p.m. -- The Lottery Bride (1930)
3 p.m. -- A Page of Madness (1926)
4:30 p.m. -- Delicious (1931)
6:30 p.m. -- Payment Deferred (1932)
8:00 p.m. -- Fear and Desire (1953)
9:15 p.m. -- Huckleberry Finn (1920)
11 p.m. -- Pandora and the Flying Dutchman (1951)
1:15 a.m. -- Roaring Rails (1924)
2:45 a.m. -- The World Moves On (1934)
4:45 a.m. -- Goldstein (1965)
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:09 pm

For some reason, the NY Daily News TV listings for TCM on Wednesday have different films scheduled for the times The Valiant and The Trespasser are supposed to run. I'm guessing it's a typo -- I have a vague recollection the films they have listed instead were on last week.

Meantime, tomorrow night 8 Eastern, TCM is running The Lemon Drop Kid, which I can't remember showing on TV previously. The film is a Bob Hope via Damon Runyon story, most notable today for being the source of holiday perennial "Silver Bells".

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Have sent a message to a friend in San Francisco to record The Valiant and The Moon is Blue for me.

Damien: If he's a friend, he'll spare you The Moon Is Blue.
Magilla: It's a typo. He meant The Moon and Sixpence.

Reza: No typo........gotta see Maggie McNamara's Oscar nominated performance, at least once before I die !! :D If I could survive watching Sandra Bullock's Oscar winning performance I can survive anything.

Oh, I see. I thought you meant The Moon and Sixpence because that's among those listed for the 14th, but then I checked TCM's schedule and found The Moon Is Blue is schedudled for this coming Monday. Alas, you wil be extremely disappointed both by the coy, lifeless comedy and McNamara's mannered performance.

No prob.....one has to try and see all the Oscar nominated performances - good, bad or ugly.

I have The Moon and Sixpence on video.

Return to “The First Century”