Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Heksagon
Adjunct

Postby Heksagon » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Bog wrote:Heksagon, why 3.5 for We Own the Night?

I liked the film for the first twenty minutes or so, but after that I just lost interest. The story, the characters and acting just felt so unconvincing that I couldn't feel drawn to the movie. Joaquin Phoenix looks like he's stoned throughout the movie and Mark Wahlberg just stands there. Apparently nobody told Robert Duvall he's supposed to be playing a police officer. Eva Mendes is good, though, although her part is paper thin. The story, it soon turns out, is standard "revenge" stuff, and I had expected more. Furthermore, as the film progresses, it becomes more and more like an advertisement for NYPD. Basically, it's a B-film with expensive actors.

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:23 am

The Curious Life of Benjamin Button (David Fincher, 2008) 5/10

If anyone deserves an Oscar nod it's Cate Blanchett giving a luminous performance. Pitt merely reacts and seems self conscious under all that make-up. The film should rack up many nods in the technical department.

Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle, 2008) 7/10

Amused to see the western critics going ga-ga over this film. It is soooooo Bollywood it's not even funny.... given an interesting twist by Danny Botle's inventive direction and sense of humor. A winner all the way.......in typical Bollywood style. I liked Dev Patel and hope he is recognised by the Academy.

That's Bollywood superstar Anil Kapoor as the M.C. during the game and Bollywood actor/director Mahesh Manjrekar as the gangster.

Edited By Reza on 1231400542

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Revolutionary Road (Sam Mendes, 2008) 6/10

Exemplary work by Roger Deakins and Kristi Zea.

DiCaprio and, particularly, Winslet deserve Oscar nods.

Edited By Reza on 1231042126

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:57 pm

Damien wrote:I ADORE The Oscar! -- I think it's one of the greatest bad films of all time.

Agree with you totally on this. What a hoot!!

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:02 pm

Damien wrote:And Flipp how could you not mention Tony Bennett, who -- in his one and only movie -- gives one of the absolute worst performances in cinematic history. No memorable zingers? What about Tony's mantra, "You lie down with pigs, you come up smellin' like garbage!" It is incomprehensible how this most graceful and elegant of singers could be such a clodhopper on screen. And his character's name, Hymie Kelly!

Most likely, I was just trying to erase the image of him mugging on the screen for his big 11th hour revelation that Frankie had fathered the unborn baby causing his own wife's miscarriage. What a horrible performance!

Also, what was up with Stephen Boyd's rather affected cadence of speech? It was distracting to the point of nausea (luckily his golden pecs were there to combat it).

I guess it has a campy worth, but I much prefer something like Jacqueline Susann's Once is Not Enough for sheer bombast.

Edited By flipp525 on 1231038236
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:41 pm

Revolutionary Road (2008; Sam Mendes) 6/10

See the film's thread for my comments.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:27 pm

FilmFan720 wrote:
Damien wrote:FilmFan, I'm sorry you missed it. (I didn't realize it was on either -- I only have an old VHS copy.) Next time, break any other engagement/appointment, turn off the phone and sit back and have the time of your life!

I will...is the book worth reading Damien?

I'm not familiar with the book, but you can read all about it here:

http://headquarters10.blogspot.com/2007....ne.html
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

FilmFan720
Tenured

Postby FilmFan720 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:15 pm

Damien wrote:FilmFan, I'm sorry you missed it. (I didn't realize it was on either -- I only have an old VHS copy.) Next time, break any other engagement/appointment, turn off the phone and sit back and have the time of your life!

I will...is the book worth reading Damien?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:28 pm

I ADORE The Oscar! -- I think it's one of the greatest bad films of all time.

And Flipp how could you not mention Tony Bennett, who -- in his one and only movie -- gives one of the absolute worst performances in cinematic history. No memorable zingers? What about Tony's mantra, "You lie down with pigs, you come up smellin' like garbage!" It is incomprehensible how this most graceful and elegant of singers could be such a clodhopper on screen. And his character's name, Hymie Kelly!

Then there's this exchange --
Stephen "You a tourist or a native?"
Elke Sommer: "Take one from Column A and two from Column B, you get an egg roll either way. "
WTF??? LOL!

An obviously intoxicated Brod Crawford is also a hoot, and you also get the great Jack Soo as a houseboy

Richard Burton in "Grapes In Winter" Burt Lancaster in "The Spanish Armada" OMG I'm laughing out loud right now just thinking about it.

Cheesey mid-60s cocktail music by Percy Faith, tacky Oscar-nominated sets and costumes -- it's all unforgettable fun.

I even have the original poster for it.

FilmFan, I'm sorry you missed it. (I didn't realize it was on either -- I only have an old VHS copy.) Next time, break any other engagement/appointment, turn off the phone and sit back and have the time of your life!
============
Oh, and speaking of camp classics, Delmer Daves's Susan Slade is on TCM at 2pm eastern time tomorrow (Sunday). It's like a Sirk movie if Sirk didn't have his sense of irony, brilliant use of space and distance and Marxist political convictions.

Edited By Damien on 1231018372
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Sandy Powell had a bit role in Edward II

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Postby Cinemanolis » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 pm

Love with the Proper Stranger 7/10

Unexpectedly enjoyable film, with a fine performances by the supporting cast, a good McQueen and Natalie Wood's best performance.

Wild Is the Wind 6/10

Anna Magniani is magnificent. The first hour of the film is also very good, but then it starts dragging. Fransciosa is also good (and looks a lot like Laurence Harvey).

Desiree 5/10

Campy most of the times. Nice costumes and art direction. Brando looks and plays odd, Simmons comes off best.

FilmFan720
Tenured

Postby FilmFan720 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:07 pm

flipp525 wrote:The Oscar (Russell Rouse, 1966) 3/10

It's easy to see why this over-long ode to the Oscar and its requisite adoration of Hollywood meteoric rises is virtually forgotten today. It's campy without being fun, stodgily scripted without any truly memorable zingers and features a lead performance by Stephen Boyd that is completely unendearing even when he's supposed to be viewed as sympathetic -- affected, overblown (only his shirtlessness in several scenes prevents me from giving this a 2/10). Saved, in part, by a fantastic turn by Eleanor Parker as Sophie Cantaro, the older woman who discovers Frankie Fein, Milton Berle as Frankie's put-upon agent and a surprising Tony Bennett as Frankie's tragic long-time friend. The real-life cameos of such Hollywood mainstays as costume czarina Edith Head and gossipmonger Hedda Hopper also make this a curio. Alternately, laugable cameos by Ernest Borgnine, Broderick Crawford, Ed Begley and James Dunn make this the most Oscar-populated schlocky mess since Evening rolled out last year.

The Oscar somehow failed to make our list of films which featured the Oscars or Oscar ceremonies awhile back. It begins at the award ceremony where the main character is nominated and traces his career trajectory backward to show the audience every foot he stepped on to get there.

I almost taped it off TCM the other night...glad to hear I didn't miss much. I bought the book years ago at a garage sale and have never read it either.

Interesting tidbit: Does this make Edith Head the only person ever nominated for Costume Design who also appears in the film?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:57 pm

The Wrestler (Darren Aronofsky, 2008) 9/10

Nothing revolutionary about the comeback story here, yet Rourke's performance raises this film to greatness when combined with Aronofsky's ability to direct without flinching while showing real care for his subject. Rourke steps into this role so effortlessly, you almost come away from the film telling yourself that Randy "the Ram" was an actual WWE wrestler you had simply forgotten about. Between Rourke and Penn, it's definitely close as to the truly best lead actor performance this year.

Marisa Tomei is fantastic as a stripper who is washed-up and damaged in her own way. Bonus points for elevating the role to something more than a cliché. She deserves to be nominated right alongside Rourke.

The Oscar (Russell Rouse, 1966) 3/10

It's easy to see why this over-long ode to the Oscar and its requisite adoration of Hollywood meteoric rises is virtually forgotten today. It's campy without being fun, stodgily scripted without any truly memorable zingers and features a lead performance by Stephen Boyd that is completely unendearing even when he's supposed to be viewed as sympathetic -- affected, overblown (only his shirtlessness in several scenes prevents me from giving this a 2/10). It's the male version of The Valley of the Dolls saved, in part, by a fantastic turn by Eleanor Parker as Sophie Cantaro, the older woman who discovers Frankie Fane and Milton Berle as Frankie's put-upon agent. The real-life cameos of such Hollywood mainstays as costume czarina Edith Head and gossipmonger Hedda Hopper also make this a curio. Alternately, laugable cameos by Ernest Borgnine, Broderick Crawford, Ed Begley, Walter Brennan and James Dunn make this the most Oscar-populated schlocky mess since Evening rolled out last year.

The Oscar somehow failed to make our list of films which featured the Oscars or Oscar ceremonies awhile back. It begins at the award ceremony where the main character is nominated and traces his career trajectory backward to show the audience every foot he stepped on to get there. Fun for seeing Boyd pull a Bill Murray in the last scene :;):.

Edited By flipp525 on 1231023147
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Bog
Assistant

Postby Bog » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:09 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button- 8/10

This is the highest rating it would likely ever get, but it was just last night, felt like an hour and a half, and looked so beautiful...I also think Brad Pitt is pretty damn good.

Heksagon, why 3.5 for We Own the Night?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:30 am

Yes.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Return to “Other Film Discussions”