Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:43 pm

Sabin wrote:
The Shop Around the Corner (Ernst Lubitsch, 1940) 8/10

Very charming; why can't they make romantic comedies this well anymore? Nicely directed, good cast, made me laugh.

This is one of the greats. One of the absolute best films I've ever seen.

I don't know a lot about Lubitsch other than he was obviously a fine craftsman. I think the only other film of his I've seen is Ninotchka, which he made just before this. I admire that one, but something about The Shop Around the Corner makes you feel at home in it, as if you're one of the clerks in the shop observing the action take place.

I'm curious, Sabin, what about this makes it one of the very best for you?

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:44 am

Very charming; why can't they make romantic comedies this well anymore? Nicely directed, good cast, made me laugh.

This is one of the greats. One of the absolute best films I've ever seen.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:29 pm

Zabriskie Point (1971) Michelangelo Antionioni (repeat viewing) 10/10

I haven't seen this in over 20 years and it's aged very well and still relevant. Warners have released it in France and the transfer is gorgeous.

Frost/Nixon (2008) Ron Howard 6/10

Enjoyable enough with good performances all round but it lacked spark.

I am Cuba (1964) Mikhail Kalatozov 8/10
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:38 am

Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960) 6/10

Wins points for (sort of) questioning religion back in 1960; Burt Lancaster seems over-the-top at first, but his performance is very consistent, especially that sociopathic smile. Shirley Jones is solid in the sympathetic hooker-with-a-heart (and thus, we need to give her a Oscar) role. Annoying bombastic score by Andre Previn.

Bog
Assistant

Postby Bog » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Let the Right One In- 9/10

pretty stunned at how glorious this little thing was...

POSSIBLE SPOILERS...

I found it ironic that I saw 88 Minutes and this film on back to back days, despite either film's merits, as they have coinciding, quite obscure plot points. If anyone has seen both films this year, they will know what I mean, just found it strange. With that being said, don't see 88 Minutes.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:54 am

Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Home Before Dark (Mervyn LeRoy) 6.5/10

Jean Simmons won numerous awards recognition for her role of a woman released from a mental institution into the

Which awards?

This is a rare film. Have not seen it.

Golden Globe, Golden Laurel nominee, runner-up in the New York Film Critics' voting.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:50 am

Lilies of the Field (Ralph Nelson, 1963) 6/10

Not as charming as it wants to be, but Poitier in this period is infinitely watchable.

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:25 am

Big Magilla wrote:Home Before Dark (Mervyn LeRoy) 6.5/10

Jean Simmons won numerous awards recognition for her role of a woman released from a mental institution into the

Which awards?

This is a rare film. Have not seen it.

Edited By Reza on 1230647194

Eric
Tenured

Postby Eric » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:53 am

Precious Doll wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) Woody Allen 3/10

Co-sign. The acclaim for this in particular (but, really, all late-period Woody Allen as far as I'm concerned) is mystifying.

paperboy
Temp

Postby paperboy » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:18 am

Frost/Nixon - 8/10

Surprisingly captivating.

rain Bard
Associate

Postby rain Bard » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:36 am

abcinyvr wrote:
rain Bard wrote:Sparrow (Johnnie To, 2008)

8/10

I saw this in Sept and agree with your rating. I have thought about it a lot and hope that it shows up somewhere. The cinematography was it's best feature.

Glad I'm not alone. Are you a fan of To in general? I agree that the cinematography was tremendous- or was it the loving digital intermediate? I can't tell anymore. All I know is, I hope I can make time to see this again before it departs from my neighborhood theatre.

Also, it's way better than Slumdog Millionaire (4/10).

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:22 am

Near Death (1989) Frederick Wiseman 9/10

Deaf (1986) Frederick Wiseman 7/10

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (2008) Woody Allen 3/10

Zombie Strippers (2008) Jay Lee 4/10
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

The Dead (John Huston) 9.5/10

The perfect film for this time of year, but oddly enough a good companion piece to The Curious Case of Benjamin Button as both films deal with the influence of the dead on the living. This time around I was struck by how short the film is, reflecting both the shortness of the story it's based upon and the shortness of life itself.

Home Before Dark (Mervyn LeRoy) 6.5/10

A film I've been waiting fifty years to see. Slowly paced and at 136 minutes a bit tedious but ultimately worth the time. Jean Simmons won numerous awards recognition for her role of a woman released from a mental institution into the stultifying home life that caused her breakdown in the first place, but failed to garner an Oscar nomination. Probably too similar to previous year winner Joanne Woodward's character in The Three Faces of Eve. Nevertheless Simmons is great, especially in the final scenes when she tells off her four tormentors. Good supporting work from Dan O'Herlihy as her cold husband and Efrem Zimbalist, Jr. as her knight in shining armor.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

abcinyvr
Graduate

Postby abcinyvr » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:56 pm

rain Bard wrote:Sparrow (Johnnie To, 2008)

8/10

I saw this in Sept and agree with your rating. I have thought about it a lot and hope that it shows up somewhere. The cinematography was it's best feature.

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:19 pm

Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines or How I Flew From London to Paris in 25 Hours 11 Minutes (1965; Ken Annakin) 7/10

Enjoyable, if overlong, comedy adventure set during the early days of aviation. The various nationalities are treated with a rather racist brush, though Jean-Pierre Cassel, Gert Frobe and Alberto Sordi provide most of the laughs, as does Terry-Thomas as the mustache-twirling villain. Terrific air-to-air cinematography.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”