Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:57 pm

Big Magilla wrote:
Reza wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The Dark Knight, 8/10

Oh wow...what a high rating!

I absolutely loathed the film....it just went on and on and on. Scary that it appears to be a front runner at the Oscars.

Misery loves company. I have been suffering from a bad cold/flu/allergy, whatever, all week. Its mournful tone was perfect for my mood.

Oh shoot....I have been very sick myself these last 2 weeks. Maybe I should have reviewed the film. Who knows I might have placed it as a front runner on my list as well? It's still not too late as my throat is still out and I can feel the flu coming on.

barrybrooks8
Temp

Postby barrybrooks8 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:17 pm

Man On Wire

4/10

There is a difference between a documentary about an interesting subject, and a documentary that is made well. This was boring, and without any surprise.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:49 am

--Reza wrote:
--Big Magilla wrote:The Dark Knight, 8/10

I absolutely loathed the film....it just went on and on and on. Scary that it appears to be a front runner at the Oscars.

Misery loves company. I have been suffering from a bad cold/flu/allergy, whatever, all week. Its mournful tone was perfect for my mood.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693395
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:59 am

--The Original BJ wrote:
--Sabin wrote:Dev Patel is fantastic with what he is given but his character is a total blank slate.

Interesting. I had the complete opposite reaction -- I thought the material was very interesting but think Dev Patel would be a strong candidate for Damien's Mechanical Performance Award.

Actually, I think the main reason the central romance doesn't absolutely soar is the flatness of the two lead actors.

I think he's quite charming, actually.

Sabin hit the nail on the head in terms of why I think Slumdog is merely a good film -- the childhood relationship between the boy and girl isn't strong enough to form a foundation for the obsessive nature it takes throughout the rest of the movie.

I wish Danny Boyle's wonderful Millions received half the attention that Slumdog has.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1276693375
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:17 am

Big Magilla wrote:The Dark Knight, 8/10

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:11 am

The Dark Knight, 8/10
The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, 6/10
Fanfan la Tulipe, 9/10
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:39 am

The Duchess (Saul Dibb, 2008) 5/10

barrybrooks8
Temp

Postby barrybrooks8 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:40 am

Australia 3/10
Transsiberian 6/10
In Bruges 8/10 (Colin Farrell was fanfuckingtastic)
The Verdict 6.10 (meh)
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:41 am

Flic Story (1975; Jacques Deray) 8/10

True story of a determined cop (Alain Delon) methodically hunting down a psychotic criminal (Jean-Louis Trintignant) in post-WWII France. Straightforward film builds to nerve-wracking climax, with terrific performances from the two leads; can I repeat how much I admire Trintignant? His portrayal of cooly detached evil is staggering.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Postby Cinemanolis » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:00 pm

The Duchess 7/10
Easy Virtue 6/10
The Changelling 7/10

dreaMaker
Assistant

Postby dreaMaker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:30 pm

Burn After Reading

7.5/10

Original (The Coens...), intelligent and fun!
McDormand is great.

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:26 pm

I also thought Dev Patel's was a very wooden performance. The kid who played the littlest Salam (I think that was his name), however, was just a delight. I'm generally not much for cute screen kids but I have to say I kinda fell in love with this kid. The movie, though, not so much. Did anybody else have problems with the pacing? It started out gangbusters and then lost its momentum somewhere in the middle. I think it's crazy that this is being considered for Best Editing.

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:47 pm

But we've been discussing the oscar prospects of Revolutionary Road damn near a year now. The Reader is on it's fifth page in our movie thread, and only one to two people have seen it. I find it odd that Slumdog Millionaire is the target of people's "oh, that AGAIN" complaints, as if it were The Dark Knight or something.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:31 pm

Interesting. I had the complete opposite reaction -- I thought the material was very interesting but think Dev Patel would be a strong candidate for Damien's Mechanical Performance Award.

Let me amend that: Dev Patel is fine. There's not much for him to do and quite clearly this is the performance that Danny Boyle wanted. He's not fantastic but he's pretty good. Compared to Gabe Nevins of 'Paranoid Park' and Alejandro Polanco of 'Chop Shop', he's absolutely nothing to talk about.

The problem the romance doesn't work is that it's not in the script! There's no foundation in their childhood for such lifelong obsession and for such a flashback/forward-happy film, Boyle doesn't even deign to show his obsession building amidst shenanigans with his brother. it's not on the page and it's not on the screen. The two leads generate no chemistry but when could they as adults? They're barely in any shots together. They just gaze at each other. It's because Danny Boyle isn't interested in their love.

Edited By Sabin on 1228350886
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:14 pm

The Original BJ wrote:I'm puzzled that people are sick of hearing about this film. I don't know a single person in real life who's seen it yet, and barely anyone on this board has commented on it -- and certainly no one here has proclaimed it as the second coming.

It's been buzzed about on the net--and here--for at least the past 3 months. To me, it's at the point of overhype. And, yeah, I still haven't seen it.

Edited By Penelope on 1228349685
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Return to “Other Film Discussions”