Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Postby Cinemanolis » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:14 am

The Reader 8/10

A mature picture that isn't kind to it's characters, but sincere. A brave performance from Kate Winslet and another wonderful performance this year for Ralph Fiennes. Even better is the young David Kross in a difficult role. Very good job in Music Score and Make up. David Hare should also be nominated for this.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:01 am

A Christmas Tale (Arnaud Despechin, 2008) 8/10
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am

Dostana (2008; Tarun Mansukhani) 6/10

See the "John Abraham plays gay" thread for review.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:31 pm

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - 5.5/10

Funny. Androcentric man-child cinema that at least bothers to be funny and there's something to be said for that. Russell Brand is hilarious.

Edited By Sabin on 1230017380
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Postby Cinemanolis » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:22 pm

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 8/10

Wonderful movie, long but never boring. I don't expect to find a better movie in the Make-up and Visual Effects departmants. Especially in the latter as the visual effects are forwarding the story and not showing off. This movie should be a major player in the Sound category as they have altered the voices of Pitt and Blanchett for their various ages. Of cource sure nominations in Picture, Director, Adapted Screenplay, Music Score, Cinematography, Editing, Art Direction categories. Taraji P.Henson is also very good, Brad Pitt is wonderful (maybe the best performance of his career), but the standout is Cate Blanchett who gives a superb performance and could be a suprise Best Actress nominee.
A beautiful and impressive movie.

Tomorrow is the press screening of 'The Reader'. I hope it's as good as i want it to be.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1229980992

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:02 am

Well, you can criticize the book but remember Paolini was actually just a child when he wrote it, so it can't be expected to be some great work of fiction...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

dreaMaker
Assistant

Postby dreaMaker » Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:05 am

Eragon (2006)

1/10

Creators of this blasphemy should be executed.
Direction is shameful, Ed Speleers is horrible, as well as everybody else. Christopher Paolini wrote a poor book, but this screenplay is a total disaster.
Etc, etc...

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:45 am

Burn After Reading - 8/10

Remains both political and apolitical, refusing to stem into intricacies but understands and vocalizes like very few films I've seen that our governmental intelligence is innately reactively and that communication is human and prone to error. This is the story of just as big a bumblefuck as our entry into Iraq but domestic and on a smaller scale as intelligence is desperately strived to be made out of something that is anything but culminating in an epilogual-punchline-as-third act that is among the most prescient choices of the Coen Brothers' careers. On the horizon, the boogeyman brings change, not death as in No Country for Old Men, which may be less welcome. So we have a film that operates as a political/social/and formal satire and manages to be funny as hell and light on its feet. The entire ensemble is guided towards the goofiest performances of the Coen Brothers' careers since Raising Arizona and after a series of comedic misfires I was grateful.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Heksagon
Adjunct

Postby Heksagon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:16 am

Paranoid Park (Gus Van Sant) 3.5/10
--What a listless movie. It looks like the actors are reading straight from cue-cards.

Good Guys Wear Black 0/10

The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada (Tommy Lee Jones) 4/10
--Means well, just doesn't work

Killer's Kiss (Stanley Kubrick) 4.5/10
--A rehearsal piece

Ten Canoes (Rolf de Heer and Peter Djigirr) 7/10

abcinyvr
Graduate

Postby abcinyvr » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:05 pm

Reza wrote:Milk (Gus Van Sant, 2008) 6/10

...Penn is superb and Josh Brolin also very good. I don't see why Emile Hirsch and particularly James Franco are being talked about in terms of awards consideration.

I have to agree about Hirsch. His performance is actually a little embarrassing - it is what Penn's' could have been if he had not nailed it.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Role Models - 6.5/10
The .5 is because this is probably the funniest out-and-out comedy of the year. David Wain encourages a lot of humor on the margins of this film and while the core of the film is incredibly formulaic, the entire cast especially Paul Rudd are hilarious and make it worthwhile. I thought this was a PG-13 film and was shocked to hear the profanity so I was a little caught off-guard by the F-bombs which might elevate it a little in my estimation.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:39 am

dreaMaker wrote:I'm Not There (2007)

3/10

Some very good performances (especially Cate Blanchett), but extremely boring, dull and pretentious.

My sentiments exactly except for Blanchett's over-rated stunt performance which I loathed.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:54 am

dreaMaker wrote:I'm Not There (2007)

3/10

Some very good performances (especially Cate Blanchett), but extremely boring, dull and pretentious.

Charlotte Gainsbourg is the standout in the ensemble, IMO, but Blanchett is also quite good.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

dreaMaker
Assistant

Postby dreaMaker » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:28 am

I'm Not There (2007)

3/10

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:45 am

Milk (Gus Van Sant, 2008) 6/10

Informative history lesson. Penn is superb and Josh Brolin also very good. I don't see why Emile Hirsch and particularly James Franco are being talked about in terms of awards consideration.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”