Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Sabin
Laureate

Re: Decades of Sexual Harassment Accusations Against Harvey Weinstein

Postby Sabin » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm

Kate Beckinsale says Harvey Weinstein sexually harassed her when she was underage.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/kate-b ... 201886574/

James Van Der Beek admits to being groped by powerful men as a young actor.
http://www.indiewire.com/2017/10/james- ... 201886566/
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:35 am

The Original BJ wrote:flipp, I'm very sorry that happened to you.

Thank you, BJ. I'm sorry that you went through that awful experience.

Also, I appreciate how receptive the Board was to hearing about these experiences. It's not something I've shared with anyone outside of maybe one or two people, but I feel better now having shared it here.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:43 am

And the world weeps. Yet a year ago, despite similar accusations against another powerful man, no damage was done to his bid to become president of the United States and there he sits wreaking daily havoc on the world, doing figuratively to everyone what he did literally to those women.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:06 am

More victims are coming forward.

Léa Seydoux

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... aulted-her

Cara Delevingne

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... wife-split

A very distrubing piece from Ronan Farrow the appeared in The New Yorker:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-des ... ir-stories
"I think he sexually assaulted a child and I don't think that's right…It's gotten very quiet in here, but that's true." Susan Sarandon on Woody Allen, Cannes Film Festival 2016

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:26 pm

Flipp and BJ, your posts are very powerful in illustrating how prevalent, damaging, and complex sexual harassment and the reporting of it can be. I'm also sorry you went through that. Thanks for your willingness to share. As someone in management I've been in the position of reporting sexual harassment and essentially seeing someone get away with it. As a psychotherapist I've heard innumerable reports of harassment (with both women and men as targets) and witnessed how much it truly messes with heads. That high-profile folks like Weinstein are being exposed and suffering consequences is a good development. But this is a huge systemic problem that needs a lot of exposure and action, especially the willingness of men and people in power to call out the attitudes and behaviors, both subtle and overt, that feed this problem.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:36 pm

I’ve never been harassed in the workplace. I’m sorry for what you both went through.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:17 pm

BAFTA has suspended Weinstein's membership and AMPAS meets Saturday to discuss what to do about the scandal.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/mov ... 18295.html

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:34 pm

flipp and BJ, I am sorry to hear all you had to go through. I have never been sexually harassed, but, one time a supervisor told me while I was in his office that I belonged in a nuthouse.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:08 pm

Mister Tee wrote
The thin silver lining of this terrible thing is the hope it'll push home the notion that the days when this sort of activity was widely tolerated are past. (Though the cynical side of me fears this is only happening because Harvey's power is so diminished -- that a similar situation with someone at the peak of his authority wouldn't have been as openly challenged.)

I remain hopeful because the dam is broken. There's less fear and stigma, and more solidarity. But I share your concerns. Only a couple of years ago, Bryan Singer was able to scuttle very damning charges because he was helping an ascendant franchise.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:52 pm

flipp, BJ, I'm very sorry to hear about the things you've endured. I've never had to deal with such things, which I guess is just a matter of luck.

The thin silver lining of this terrible thing is the hope it'll push home the notion that the days when this sort of activity was widely tolerated are past. (Though the cynical side of me fears this is only happening because Harvey's power is so diminished -- that a similar situation with someone at the peak of his authority wouldn't have been as openly challenged.)

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:17 pm

And his knighthood may be rescinded.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/harvey-wein ... 202186256/

And he might be kicked out of the Academy. The sharpest dagger of all.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/harvey-wein ... 202186528/

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:20 pm

I don't have any stories of sexual harassment in the workplace personally. But general harassment? Definitely. With or without the sexual component, there is such hostility and contempt from a lot of bosses and supervisors that would not be tolerated on the street, in a bar, in a public gathering, etc. And of course, it doesn't have to be a higher-up that's being abusive. I've seen lots of co-workers take advantage, and the boss do very little about it.

I did witness some really ugly homophobic harassment in a place I worked at. (Since it was anti-gay slurs - lots of them - I don't know if technically it's sexual harassment.) The victim either quit or was transferred. Did I do anything about it? Oh no I didn't. Why? I reasoned that I was not in a situation to get involved. I was barely out of my teens, living alone, paying for my own college tuition, taking alternate semesters off to work, and seriously on the hook by my parents. Most interestingly, the person who was harassed WAS a boss - getting humiliated by another supervisor and a few employees - and I was just a minimum wage drone. I figured, it's not my place to speak up. He's a supervisor, so he'll know the right things to do to handle this. Well, he left and everyone else kept their jobs. I have no idea what went down.

Simply put... why did they bully him? Because they could.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:51 am

flipp, I'm very sorry that happened to you.

I was sexually harassed in the workplace several years ago -- and I mean, it was ugly, and lawyers got involved. (One reason why I personally have doubts about the "Disney knew and was covering for Weinstein in the Miramax era" claim is that I know from experience that Disney's lawyers do NOT take that stuff lightly, at least they don't these days.)

But it was truly one of the worst things to have ever happened to me. And I didn't report it, at first -- much as we're all told in harassment seminars that everyone should feel empowered to speak up about these things, it's just a simple reality that when you're at an assistant level with virtually no experience, reporting that a beloved producer is committing sexual harassment on a regular basis toward you is an absolutely terrifying thing to do. The dam finally broke when a co-worker observed me being harassed, pulled me aside to ask if I was okay and if that had happened before, and then reported what I had told her up the food chain.

I consider myself lucky in that I was never assaulted AND no one ever doubted my claims -- which I know is something not afforded to many women -- but the entire process of reporting and being interviewed by numerous other producers and lawyers was completely debilitating emotionally. I completely understand 100% why so many women don't report harassment, because the entire process makes you feel like YOU are the one under interrogation, like you are somehow responsible for what happened to you, even if you know you are the victim.

Hearing all of the reports this week about Weinstein just brought back a lot of miserable feelings I have toward how corrosive this kind of behavior is in this industry.

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 am

OscarGuy wrote:It's because unlike Ailes and O'Reilly, Weinstein doesn't have the conservative base to rally to his cause and proclaim that he was being railroaded. Liberals are swift in their condemnation and he simply can't have defenders like Ailes and O'Reilly did.

It could simply be that Ailes and O'Reilly happened first, and circumstances would have been different had the chronology been reversed.

ETA: Actually, I can think of plenty of "liberal" (either alleged or not) harassers where this is not the case at all. I mean, Bill Clinton, anyone?
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 am

I always remember that disgusting picture of Renee Zelwegger sitting on Weinstein's lap around the time of Chicago.

The story about Terry Crewes reminded me of an experience I had at work in the mid-to-late 2000s. There was a nice, older, straight and married man who was constantly flirting with me. The first time I honestly thought it was just a joke ("Hey, handsome" or "Hey, sexy"). But it continued and escalated to the point of physical contact. It was never more than like a quick slap on the butt or a "cup and squeeze" of my ass cheek, but it was beyond inappropriate and certainly against the regulations of my workplace (and, now that I've had time to process it, a form of assault). I was just in the beginning of my career and doing well in my job so I never reported it. I was afraid of what would happen to me and my job (which, I think, is a very real fear experienced by victims of sexual harassment). Eventually, I was able to successfully distance myself from the man and he eventually moved on to a new division and no longer had access to me on a regular basis. But this definitely happens to men too.
Last edited by flipp525 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Return to “The People”