Coming DVDs

anonymous1980
Laureate

Postby anonymous1980 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:26 am

For those of you planning to get The Sundowners DVD: Put on the close captions. I actually worked on it. (I proof-read subtitles for DVD's and we got this project a couple of weeks ago).

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:23 am

Finally! I've been waiting for Home From the Hill and The Sundowners to be released on DVD for eight years! Angel Face has been available in a crappy TV to tape to DVD version. The Good Guys and the Bad Guys is a curious choice, a western that got lost in the avalanche of revisionist westerns in 1969 - The Wild Bunch, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, True Grit, Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here. Macao and The Yakuza are good films.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:46 am

Yep. Already disciovered this. My Phillips freezes certain DVDs which my Sony plays just fine and my new Coby has already frozen one title which my Phillps plays just fine.

As far as government bans go, they could make it illegal to "fix" a player as easily as they could ban the outright sale. Doesn;t seem to be happening any time soon, though.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:03 am

Big Magilla wrote:Always good to have a back-up. You never know when they're going to pass a law to make the sale of region free players illegal so I thought I should take advantage of the price while I can.

Though I primarily watch movies in my media room, I entertain mostly in my living room so having one in both rooms makes sense.

Doesn't matter if any Government tries to ban the sale of multi zone players. You will always be able to pay a video repair person to "fix" a machine for a price.

Another good reason to have two players is that sometimes a dsic won't play in a particular machine for some odd reason.

For example one of my machines won't play Claude Chabrol's The Butcher, whilst the other won't play Three Extremes but I have no problems when I play the discs in the other machine.

I lend my parents my DVD's to watch. Their machine won't play Downfall (won't bring up the subtitles), Samaratain Girl or Nanncy McPhee, so I just lend them one of my DVD players.
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:14 am

Always good to have a back-up. You never know when they're going to pass a law to make the sale of region free players illegal so I thought I should take advantage of the price while I can.

Though I primarily watch movies in my media room, I entertain mostly in my living room so having one in both rooms makes sense.

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:56 am

Big Magilla wrote:I was so impressed that I ordered another one, which should be here tomorrow.

Why do you need two? In case one breaks down? The price is good though!

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:26 pm

Penelope, I got my Coby DVD Recorder from RegionCodeFreeDVD.com in Elk Grove, Illinois for $199.00. I ordered it via FedEx two day delivery, It was sent out the next day and I had in three days after ordering. I was so impressed that I ordered another one, which should be here tomorrow. Supposedly thi sparticular recorder regualry sells for $499 but is on sale this week only. Funny, but that was the same sale they had three weeks ago when I ordered the first one!

Sons and Lovers, Two Rode Together and Viva Zapata! were the first region free DVDs I ordered and played. They look great!

OKri, the problem with adjusting existing players to be region free is that it's very complicated and you could end up destroying the damn thing so unless you're very sure of waht you're doing I wouldn;t attempt it.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:43 pm

I don't know, Eric, maybe Amazon - UK just doesn't like California addresses. I'll check out Benson's World as well.

I was successful in obtaining several titles from Amazon's retailers.

Reza, the title I was searching for was The Sun Also Rises, not a great movie but one I've had a certain fondness for since seeing it as a child. It's been available in any home video format in the U.S. It was just released on August 26th and is available from the retailers Precious Doll mentioned.

Eric
Tenured

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Um, I've had no trouble getting amazon.co.uk to deliver to me in Minnesota.

Another very good retailer is Benson's World.

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:34 pm

Before you make the purchase, Penelope, I'd find out if there were any cracks to make your DVD player a region free one first.

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:58 am

I finally stepped up to a region free DVD player.

I would like to do the same; aside from the Carry On... films (not all of which are available in Region 1), there are other titles only found in other Regions that I'd like to get my hands on. I'm clueless, where can I purchase a region-free DVD player?
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:08 am

Big Magilla wrote:
Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Four re-issues and the OK American Madness while we wait in vain for The Miracle Woman and The Bitter Tea of General Yen.

Ironically these two are available on Region 2 along with some other Stanwyck classics. However I am not prepared to buy the package just for The Miracle Woman given that I have some of the others already.

I finally stepped up to a region free DVD player. The problem now is obtaining software. I found an on-line source in New York that sells Region 2 and 4 DVDs at very reasonable prices. The problem is their inventory is limited. I thought Amazon.com- uk woudl be a resource but they will not deliver outside of Britain although some of their retailers will. Ironically the title I was searching for is available at Amazon.com-uk and six of their retailers, but none of them will ship outside of the u.k. and Europe. Ah, well.

Magilla,

Which title are you searching for?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:03 am

Thanks, Precious. I checked out the websites for Send It & Movie Mail. I can see where I could go broke in no time catching up!

Maybe Amazon - UK just won't ship DVDs to the U.S. They list rates for international shipping but when I click on any DVD title it adds to the shopping basket but when I go to checkout I get a message saying unable to deliver to the indicated address.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:10 am

Magilla,

That's odd about Amazon UK because I buy from them all the time and I don't live in the U.K.

Other good U.K. retailers are Send It & Movie Mail. There's also HMV UK.
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:57 pm

Precious Doll wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Four re-issues and the OK American Madness while we wait in vain for The Miracle Woman and The Bitter Tea of General Yen.

Ironically these two are available on Region 2 along with some other Stanwyck classics. However I am not prepared to buy the package just for The Miracle Woman given that I have some of the others already.

I finally stepped up to a region free DVD player. The problem now is obtaining software. I found an on-line source in New York that sells Region 2 and 4 DVDs at very reasonable prices. The problem is their inventory is limited. I thought Amazon.com- uk woudl be a resource but they will not deliver outside of Britain although some of their retailers will. Ironically the title I was searching for is available at Amazon.com-uk and six of their retailers, but none of them will ship outside of the u.k. and Europe. Ah, well.

Return to “DVD Discussions”