European Vacation

dws1982
Tenured

Re: European Vacation

Postby dws1982 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:00 pm

Just a quick check-in:

I leave on Saturday. I will have multiple days in each city. I'd love to spend more time in most of these cities, but for reasons both financial and logical, it's not feasible.

Definitely appreciate the recommendations; may make some private contact in the next days to find out some more details.

Here's an odd question, but does anyone have a book recommendation for the trip? I know a lot of my time will be active, but there will be plenty of train time and airport/airplane time. I'd kind of like something that would have more resonance on this trip than it might if I were reading it at home on my own couch.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Sun May 22, 2016 7:19 am

I know all these places very well, and if you have specific questions just contact me privately.

While these places are all rather close to each other, I can only hope your trip won't just last one week - you know, one day per city, the American way. Except these are all historical cities, and one needs some time not just to see all the important sights, but also to "get" the specific atmosphere each city has. Five of these are capitals, and even Krakow, which isn't, WAS a capital once. They deserve more than a few hours.

Prague is probably the most "objectively" beautiful - and definitely a wonderful city - but it's also, sadly, very touristic these days. It's not like the others are exactly like desert islands, but they still have a soul.

My favorite is Krakow. But I agree with mirg's suggestion about the baths in Budapest - a unique combination of history and health.

jack
Assistant

Postby jack » Sat May 21, 2016 6:43 pm

For a second I thought you were reviewing the "classic" National Lampoons movie.

You'll love Krakow. It's a beautiful city. I strongly recommend you take a walk around the old Jewish district in the west of the city. Most, if not all, has been left untouched since ww2. There's bars that are three stories down in old bunkers.

mlrg
Adjunct

Postby mlrg » Sat May 21, 2016 12:01 pm

In Prague the old city center is the place to go. Also try going to a classical music concert inside a church. There are plenty around the city.

In Budapest go to a turkish public bath. Quite enjoyable (and clean too in case you wondered).

You should have come to Lisbon too. It's one of the trendiest cities in europe right now.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Sat May 21, 2016 1:45 am

In Berlin:

The Reichstag - you can actually go up into the dome;
The Holocaust Memorial
The Museum Island which contains 3 museums
The Berlin Cathedral
Berlin Zoo (maybe) it was great back in the 1990s when I last went to Berlin in 2001 less so;
Potsdamerplatz - there is also a museum on German film there (which I haven't been too);
Sans Souci - just outside of Berlin

In Prague:

Really just the old part of the city including the Cathedral on the hill overlooking Prague

In Vienna:

Really all the well known tourist spots are where to go. They are spread around Vienna which has a very good public transport system

Enjoy your trip!
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

dws1982
Tenured

European Vacation

Postby dws1982 » Fri May 20, 2016 8:38 pm

Four weeks from tomorrow I'll be leaving on a whirlwind tour of several Central European cities.

I'll be in the following cities for at least some of my time:
Berlin
Wittenberg
Prague
Krakow
Bratislava
Budapest
Vienna

If anyone knows of any must-see sites (maybe not the obvious tourist spots) or cool restaurants, please feel free to share.

Return to “General Off-Topic”