Everything Is Great and Amazing

Mister Tee
Laureate

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Postby Mister Tee » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 pm

I've been mostly absent from this thread, but, to catch up on a number of things raised, and also to address new stuff:

A train carrying GOP Congressfolk collides with a garbage truck. Holy metaphor, Batman! Way too on the nose.

Trey Gowdy announces he's retiring, making him the eleventy-millionth chairman to do so. But, still, we'll hear all year that the Democrats are blowing it, and Pubs are going to make a strong comeback. I only they could get Republicans to believe that.

I blithely skipped the State of the Union last night (watched an old movie called The Cheaters, a bizarre mash-up of My Man Godfrey and The Bishop's Wife, which is a delightful mess), but I did tune in for Joe Kennedy's speech. My feeling is, if his name was Joe Blank from Limbo, I'd still be saying, Who is this kid? -- he's really got it. Beautifully crafted, succinct summation of the Democratic approach, delivered with credible earnestness. Steve Schmidt on MSNBC said it was the best SOTU response he could remember, and I concur.

A measure of his success: Russian bots were all over Twitter last night saying "We don't need dynasties", suggesting he scares them. As far as dynasties: a member of his family last ran for president 38 years ago. Is there a statute of limitations, after which a family member can run for higher office without being hit with that stupid claim? (Asking with FDR in mind.)

I have zero worry about Robert Mueller resigning. Trump attempting to fire him? -- that's another matter, and such an action would hasten the constitutional crisis we're edging toward. But Mueller leave on his own? No frickin' way.

To Sabin's question about Korean reunification: 1) it's not happening; 2) if it were to miraculously come about, it wouldn't redound to Trump's credit, because he'd have had nothing to do with it.

As for Bernie Sanders: 1) he's way too old; 2) he's never faced a national attack ad (Hillary treated him with kid gloves throughout 2016), meaning his good approval numbers are seriously flimsy -- keep in mind: Hillary had great approvals in 2014, but relentless "emails!" coverage sabotaged her by Election Day; 3) there's no evidence he has any grasp of governing, as opposed to sloganing; I agree with plenty of his analysis of what's wrong, but see no plan to improve things other than "I'll demand they do it and they will"; 4) Sabin is correct, that the best Dem formula for victory is to get the urban liberals plus African-Americans -- the Obama coalition. But this ignores the fact that Sanders did TERRIBLY with black voters in 2016. Yes, they say in polling they'll vote for him over Trump (Duh!), but there's no sign he'll appeal to them in primaries, or turn them out in big numbers in the general; 5) like okri and others, I say, if it's time to move on from Hillary (who, you know, got by far the most votes in 2016, even with Russia, the FBI and much of the news media crippling her), it's also time to let go of the guy she trounced in the primaries. New generation, please.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:49 am

Mueller won't step down. He'll have to be fired because he knows that Obstruction of Justice will be easier to prove if such a thing happens. I think it will also galvanize support for the Dems in the midterms and he'll be re-hired as a special prosecutor immediately after. I also think the GOP posturing that makes it sound like they aren't concerned will actually disappear if Mueller is canned.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:42 am

I'm going to need someone to reassure me that Mueller isn't stepping down...
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:45 pm

Greg wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:We don't need Medicare for All. Why is that suddenly so important? I'm on Medicare and I have never had so many problems with insurance company screw-ups too numerous to list and ridiculously high drug prices with the donut hole in the middle of the year in which you have to pay even higher prices until the hole is filled with your money, adding insult to injury. With more people in the program it can only get worse. What we need is a system where you go to the doctor, get treated and not have to pay anything outside of your monthly premium. That's not Medicare for anyone, let alone all.

Were you ever covered in the Veterans Administration? What I think would work best would be a VA For All where the VA system is expanded to cover the entire nation.

I'm eligible for VA coverage, but having lived in California where the VA system has always been sub-par, I was reluctant to join in New Jersey where everyone seems to be satisfied with their coverage. Still, those who do take advantage of the VA, have to have outside coverage for what isn't covered. With Medicare, which only covers about 80% of expenses, if your income is under $25,000 you may be able to get coverage from free assistance programs, but if it's over that you have to pay for coverage of which there are two types.

Medigap, which takes over where Medicare stops, is very expensive. Medicare Advantage, which takes the place of Medicare, even though you still have to pay your monthly Medicare premium, limits you to doctors within their network. This is what I have. Fortunately my primary care physician and my ENT doctor are in most networks, but in some specialties the choices are very limited. For example, a few years ago I had to pay out-of-pocket to my very expensive ophthalmologist for cataract surgery although the hospital out patient care of which he is part owner was covered. Two years ago I found another ophthalmologist who was covered, but she was dropped from the network last year. Soon I will have to choose one that is in the network.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:47 pm

Big Magilla wrote:We don't need Medicare for All. Why is that suddenly so important? I'm on Medicare and I have never had so many problems with insurance company screw-ups too numerous to list and ridiculously high drug prices with the donut hole in the middle of the year in which you have to pay even higher prices until the hole is filled with your money, adding insult to injury. With more people in the program it can only get worse. What we need is a system where you go to the doctor, get treated and not have to pay anything outside of your monthly premium. That's not Medicare for anyone, let alone all.

Were you ever covered in the Veterans Administration? What I think would work best would be a VA For All where the VA system is expanded to cover the entire nation.
A party without cake is just a meeting

― Julia Child

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:54 pm

I have no idea whether CNN is excited about Joe Kennedy or not and I don't care. He may appeal to the older generations who see him as the hope that was lost with the assassination of his great-uncle, but younger generations should see him, or someone like him, as someone who can get things done. If there is someone else out there who is smarter with ideas and that appeal to all generations and the charisma to put them across, then fine. What I'm seeing with all the other anticipated 2020 Democratic candidates that are being talked about are people I'd vote for because the alternative would be an extension of the Trump era, but I don't see any of them with broad appeal.

We don't need Medicare for All. Why is that suddenly so important? I'm on Medicare and I have never had so many problems with insurance company screw-ups too numerous to list and ridiculously high drug prices with the donut hole in the middle of the year in which you have to pay even higher prices until the hole is filled with your money, adding insult to injury. With more people in the program it can only get worse. What we need is a system where you go to the doctor, get treated and not have to pay anything outside of your monthly premium. That's not Medicare for anyone, let alone all.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:57 pm

Big Magilla wrote
She's old news - Joe Kennedy is the new Ma. liberal.

She’s still in her first term! And it’s even harder to make that claim if she’s for Medicare for All and he’s not.

Besides, it only makes the Democratic Party look oligarchical (the Democratic Leisure Council, as Jesse Jackson put it) if we nominate the spouses or offspring or offspring of offspring of previous Presidents. Maybe CNN is excited, but trust me. NOBODY my age or younger gives a shit about nominating a Kennedy.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Sabin wrote:I would love to see some new blood, but I have to ask and I'm being serious: does Elizabeth Warren qualify? She would be younger blood for sure. She will be seventy when/if she starts running in 2019, which would make her the oldest incoming President in our history. Would she be disqualified from your calls for young blood as well?

She's old news - Joe Kennedy is the new Ma. liberal. I'm not familiar with his views on Medicare for All, but that's not the panacea people seemto think it is. I would imagine that as a Kennedy he has some ideas on the subject that may be better.

I like the fact that the worst the Republicans can say about him is that he's boring. He's not, they are when they're not being liars and cheats, but what else is new?

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:52 pm

Big Magilla wrote
Look out for Joe Kennedy, RFK's 37-year-old grandson, the fiery young Congressman from Massachusetts, who will give the Democrats' rebuttal to Trump's State of the Union address next week. This could give him the national exposure he needs to blow the competition out of the water.

Already I'm seeing people gripe that he's not for Medicare For All on my feed. I think that's going to be pretty essential for any contender. Also, call me crazy, but for a party that sees its best contenders in a couple of old white men, I don't see nominating a Kennedy as moving forward.

OscarGuy wrote
I think something people have refused to bring up about Sanders is how, during the campaign for the Dem nomination, he promised that he would remain a Democrat. What has he done? He's steadfastly refused to change party affiliations. He's as much a liar and a cheat as anyone who saw through him and his large number of loud and sexist followers early in the campaign. He claims to be pure and for the little people, but he's as calculating and dishonest as every other politician out there.

It's time for new blood. Younger blood. Whether that's in the guise of the other problematic candidates in the race, Cory Booker or Kamala Harris, or someone else.

I'll just respond to the other Bernie comments here...

Is there any Democrat that has campaigned for more Democratic candidates up for election or reelection than Bernie Sanders? Or done more town halls or interviews in support of Democratic policy? Is your problem with Bernie Sanders REALLY that he didn't change his party affiliation or that he's Bernie Sanders? If Bernie Sanders is a liar and a cheat, we should have more liars and cheats like him.

I would love to see some new blood, but I have to ask and I'm being serious: does Elizabeth Warren qualify? She would be younger blood for sure. She will be seventy when/if she starts running in 2019, which would make her the oldest incoming President in our history. Would she be disqualified from your calls for young blood as well?

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am

I think something people have refused to bring up about Sanders is how, during the campaign for the Dem nomination, he promised that he would remain a Democrat. What has he done? He's steadfastly refused to change party affiliations. He's as much a liar and a cheat as anyone who saw through him and his large number of loud and sexist followers early in the campaign. He claims to be pure and for the little people, but he's as calculating and dishonest as every other politician out there.

It's time for new blood. Younger blood. Whether that's in the guise of the other problematic candidates in the race, Cory Booker or Kamala Harris, or someone else.
Wesley Lovell

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Sat Jan 27, 2018 8:38 am

Greg. while it's true that Sanders is taking steps to be a better candidate than he was in before (performing outreach, boning up on foreign affairs), I have to echo flipp - I don't want anyone from the 2016 election participating (or Kerry or Biden). Plus I genuinely think all would be too old. But I also think, Greg, your tendency to reduce politics to single news stories and soundbytes is actively harmful. I do think that Sanders, though, is uniquely vulnerable because he's not a Democrat and his grasp of policy isn't all that strong.

Precious, I feel differently from you, but I get why you feel the way you do. It's hard not to feel depressed. We will be seeing the horrific effects of climate change more and more often. The richest 42 people in the world have more money than the poorest 3.7 billion and the wealth divide is expanding. But at the same time, I feel a bit of hope. I shouldn't speak for the world, but the biggest feeling I had after the election was one of betrayal. I view Trump's election as a betrayal of the future. And I suspect many in the world feel the same way. Chrystia Freedland (Canadian politician) essentially argued for the continuance of the multi lateral world order Trump is abdicating. Merkel and Macron obviously feel similarly. Despite Trump destroying regulations designed to help the environment, the EU is still pushing forward as are other countries. Many elections, post Trump, have moved away from the right. In my own country (Canada), there's the feeling that if we're to survive and be strong, we'll have to move on anyway. Which you can imagine is a tricky thing to do for Canada, given how tied to the nation below us we are.

Sabin, I don't think North and South Korea will be unifying any time soon

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:08 am

Big Magilla wrote:Oprah has stated emphatically that she has no desire to be president, and will not run in 2020. "It's not in my "DNA" is how she put it.

Look out for Joe Kennedy, RFK's 37-year-old grandson, the fiery young Congressman from Massachusetts, who will give the Democrats' rebuttal to Trump's State of the Union address next week. This could give him the national exposure he needs to blow the competition out of the water.

Greg, no offense, but to cite some poll from January 2018 at this point as evidence that we should let Bernie be our candidate this time around is, well, just no. I don’t want anyone who was involved in the mess that was the election of 2016 to be involved in 2020. I really can’t believe that anyone would. Bernie is tainted baggage and, in many ways, just as much of a barker as Trump, just barking from the other side. And he’s not even a Democrat. Ugh, no.

A couple weeks ago before work, I was getting coffee at my favorite place which right next to my office and is also not too far from the Hill (it’s a local chain which shares my name) and Joe Kennedy III was right there next to me. No one was recognizing him (not even the baristas) and I felt like I was in the presence of someone who will be one of the greats someday soon. You can feel it just being around him. I’m thrilled that he is giving the SOTU Democratic response. Having heard him speak many times, I can’t see how he is not being groomed right now (if he isn’t already) for a run. He would destroy Trump; his “brand” is so much stronger. And there is a lot in his brand that would be attractive to white working class voters (who were lured into Trump’s many false promises).
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 am

Oprah has stated emphatically that she has no desire to be president, and will not run in 2020. "It's not in my "DNA" is how she put it.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:18 pm

I don’t think any match-up this early out is to be taken seriously. But if our best candidates are two near-octogenarians and Oprah, we suck.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm

flipp525 wrote:Oh awesome. Let’s just hand the GOP another victory in 2020. That narcissistic old bag needs to just go away. And take Lady Jane with him.

Ahem:

Trump loses to Biden, Sanders, and Oprah in a hypothetical 2020 matchup:

"A CNN poll conducted by SSRS surveyed respondents about three general-election matchups. Former Vice President Joe Biden beats Trump 57 percent to 40 percent. Former presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) runs ahead of Trump 55 to 42 percent, and Oprah Winfrey leads against Trump 51 to 42 percent."

https://www.vox.com/2018/1/23/16924114/ ... -elections
A party without cake is just a meeting

― Julia Child

Return to “Current Events”