Everything Is Great and Amazing

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Postby Big Magilla » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:22 pm

The synagogue shooter wasn't a Trump supporter - he considered Trump a globalist, not a nationalist, which will make it easy for Trump's minions to disavow him. Trumps' asinine remark that fewer (although I think he said "less", being the grammatical moron that he is) people would have been killed if there had been an armed guard posted at the entrance is just another stupid reaction that his base will nod their heads up and down in support of.

I hope this and the attempted assassiantions will motivate a few more people to get off their asses to go and vote for Democrats in the Senate races, especially in Arizona and Texas.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:08 pm

Today I woke up to an email saying "Cheryl is safe."

My cousin Cheryl is a Jewish civil rights attorney in Pittsburgh. She rarely goes to synagogue. For the first time in my family's life, they are grateful that being observant didn't take for most of us. I posted on Facebook "Yay! My cousin wasn't at the synagogue and killed during the shooting! It was just... other Jews."

However, I am astonished at the speed with which the bombings this week were dismissed as a left wing false flag. I'm actually more sympathetic to conspiracy theories than a lot of my colleagues in that I will hear and entertain them, even if I don't ultimately believe them. But this is just astonishing.

The saving grace of the week for me was Andrew Gillum's exceptional debate performance. "A hit dog will holler." "The racists believe he’s a racist." I don't think there is a race this year where the gulf between the two candidates is so wide. I have very high hopes for him.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:38 am

Please...make it stop.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:22 pm

Should we refer to Caesar Sayoc as "The MAGA Bomber" or "The First MAGA Bomber?"
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:47 pm

Over the past few weeks, I've spoken to some friends who'd really like it if we could all chill out a little bit. All I'll say is this. The GOP just learned how to win by campaigning against the MeToo movement. It’s about to get ugly, ugly, ugly.

The Original BJ
Emeritus

Postby The Original BJ » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:05 pm

And as with so many things the last few years, what seemed like it could end up being a complete disaster for the Republicans ends with them squeaking through by the narrowest of victories.

I truly have no bigger election night wish than to see Mitch McConnell become Senate Minority Leader.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:14 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... reme-court

Being on holidays has given me lots of reading time and I have no doubt in the validity of the accusations against Brett Kavanaugh and he is clearly not a fit person to be a judge, let alone a Supreme Court Judge for life. I must admit that I read very little of political going ons in the U.S. as we have enough of our own deplorables to keep me occupied, concerned and angry.

Back when 9/11 happened the Sydney Morning Herald had a cartoon of the Statue of Liberty with her face in her hands weeping. Not that this can be compared to 9/11 but that image is awfully appropriate in relation to Kavanaugh's likely appointment.

As for Trumps comment that the ladies that confronted Jeff Flake were 'paid professionals', well I suppose he'd know all about that given the 'services' he has paid for, which I believe in 49 of the 50 states of the U.S. is illegal.
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Heksagon
Adjunct

Postby Heksagon » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:33 am

Brett Kavanaugh's nomination process is probably the worst nadir for the Supreme Court since the Dred Scott ruling. And the chances are, it's only going to get worse in the coming years. The current system for appointing judges is not appropriate when the court has become so politicized as it is currently. But any reform would require a bipartisan effort, which is kind of lacking at the moment.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:25 am

I don't think I've gone through this much anxiety since the 2016 election. I'm exhausted. I tried to watch the Matt Damon SNL cold open but I only mustered one small laugh when he said "I showed this speech to almost no one."

There are many things that I hate about this past week but had Brett Kavanaugh simply conducted himself before the Senate with a modicum of dignity and told the truth... half of the time ("Sure, I blacked out. I was a teenager. But I did not assault her.") then it might be possible that I could move into the next week with the courage of Dr. Ford's testimony more strongly in my mind. Instead, it has been completely eclipsed by this gross motherfucker who barring a miracle will absolutely be put on the Supreme Court because of systemic advantages set into motion long before this moment. For me, his alleged offenses are very bad and perhaps disqualifying. But in his efforts to save his skin, he has revealed to us that he is so lacking in maturity and character, a possible conspiracy theorist (!) and a liar of such shocking convenience, that the notion of him on the bench inspires nothing but vomit.

I tell myself that this is a good thing. At least we get to see him for who he truly is before he sits on the bench for the next thirty years ruling on women's reproductive rights.

While I remain a progressive Democrat, I am becoming more and more steadfast in my belief that the best thing for this country's soul is a woman kicking the electoral crap out of Trump in 2020.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:48 am

Reports are that the White House has curtailed the FBI's investigation. They are not allowed to ask for Judge's employment records at Safeway in order to pinpoint the time of Blasey Ford's encounter. They are not allowed to investigate Kavanaugh's drinking at Yale which would help Bolster Ramirez's claims. They are not allowed to investigate any of Swetnick's claims. Cover-up, anyone?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Bog
Assistant

Postby Bog » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:20 am

Quite...more rapid, intense, and dangerous! Think of it almost as the booze equivalent (legal in all states) of "these pills make me feel good, but it just isn't enough anymore"...enter heroin.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 pm

Bog wrote:...and in the truest sense of the word you absolutely have a drinking problem (he denies) if you need alcohol anally to get the same effect!

I think you mentioned that you are a doctor, so, I am asking, wouldn't this be very dangerous?
"Wall Street is not the solution to our problem. Wall Street is the problem!"

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Bog
Assistant

Postby Bog » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Mister Tee wrote:his "innocent" explanations of boofing, the Devil's Triangle or Renate Alumnus. They're trivial things, of course, and it would be hard to justify a vote against him on that basis alone.

Trivial on the surface yes...but actually the former 2 items if he had been pressed speak directly to perjury. He continues to maintain his virginity long past these threesomes he passes off as a drinking game...and in the truest sense of the word you absolutely have a drinking problem (he denies) if you need alcohol anally to get the same effect!

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 pm

I fully agree, Magilla. It also goes to the accuser from Yale -- when I heard her last name was Ramirez, I thought to myself, yep, that'd be a girl Kavanaugh and his gang would consider disposable. Even when it came to Dr. Ford...one of the Catholic school girls/Kavanaugh supporters said of her "We didn't hang out with people from Gaithersburg" -- you could hear the class condescension leaping off the page.

It's clear to anybody paying attention that Kavanaugh lies with impunity -- no one seriously believes his "innocent" explanations of boofing, the Devil's Triangle or Renate Alumnus. They're trivial things, of course, and it would be hard to justify a vote against him on that basis alone. But the fact that it's so important for him to deny reality like that (when it's easily proven otherwise) suggests truly bad character. As does his screaming tantrum yesterday (if a woman had delivered that, she'd have been dismissed as a harpy) and the fact that he did everything he could to avoid answering direct questions, confident that the GOP lackeys on the committee would have his back. This is how and why bad people flourish in this society -- because there are older/more powerful bad people willing to help them through. (According to a Vox analysis, by the way, Dr. Ford, answered pretty much every question directly, while Kavanaugh bobbed and weaved all day.)

Mark Judge has agreed to be interviewed by the FBI, which could be interesting. The lengths to which GOPers have gone to keep him from being questioned suggest they're not fully confident he'll back Kavanaugh up -- something you'd expect a lifelong friend would do without hesitation. In a happy ending Hollywood movie, Judge would have a crisis of conscience and vindicate Dr. Ford. In the real world? Well, Judge is supposedly in AA, and as I understand it, one of AA's major Steps is making amends to people you've harmed by your behavior. Might this be a moment of truth for him?

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:39 pm

Nobody knows what they'll find, or if they find something, make it public, but I think the single most damning thing in Kavanaugh's performance was something one of the women senators caught but no one has mentioned since.

I think it was Harris, but it could have been Klobuchar, who responded to something he said when he was saying for the umpteenth time what a saint he was in high school. I think it was when he was going on about how nice he was to the girls from the various Catholic high schools that were in his circle of friends and how Blasey Ford wouldn't have been in that group because she went to a non-Catholic private high school. The senator remarked that some men and boys treat some women and girls one way and some another.

In thinking about that later, it became obvious to me that she was the perfect foil for his Jekyll & Hyde personality because she wasn't part of his group and if word got out to any of the girls in his group they wouldn't believe it because he didn't behave that way with the nice Catholic girls.

I suppose that it's possible that he blacked out those incidents, but I don't think so. I think he's lying and doesn't think an FBI investigation will prove otherwise but doesn't want to take the chance.

Return to “Current Events”