Everything Is Great and Amazing

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Everything Is Great and Amazing

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:33 pm

They've begun to follow the money. It's not "loans" from Russia that is the problem, it's "payoffs". They know there were payoffs, but who was paid and for what? That's the big unknown at the moment.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:25 pm

And so we begin the long journey of investigating President Trump's obstruction of justice and ties to Russia. After months of reporting, we will finally learn that...he fired Comey and he took a loan from Russia...surpriiiise!

Obviously, there is more, but I wonder if this is enough to oust him. The American people know this, so they will feel let down. And if Watergate "wasn't about the crime, but the coverup"...what cover up? He just fired somebody when he shouldn't have because he's an idiot. There aren't going to be any tapes that reveal anything akin to the darkness of Nixon. Paul Ryan's defense is stupid ("he's new at this") but it could be his saving grace. Had Trump the evil genius of Nixon and were it to be revealed, that would be a bombshell. I'm afraid that if they don't uncover anything we don't already know that he will survive this.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:31 pm

Yes. "Happy Birthday, Mr. President, you're under criminal investigation."

He was aware of that, of course, when he made a big show of Comey "vindicating" him for saying he was not under investigation prior to his firing. For all we know, he leaked the story or ordered it leaked to regain the headlines. He can't stand a day in which he isn't the biggest news story, good or bad.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:37 pm

Big Magilla wrote:I thought he was referring to the shoot-out at the GOP baseball practice this morning.

Correct, though other news basically trumped that now.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:17 am

I thought he was referring to the shoot-out at the GOP baseball practice this morning.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:16 am

Are you referring to Sessions?
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:45 am

Well, that happened.

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Re: Everything Is Great Again

Postby Sonic Youth » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:52 pm

Precious Doll wrote:The number of young people turning out to vote had a lot to do with Brexit where young people failed to get out there and vote and ended up with a result that they did not like - they only had themselves to blame.

They were not going to make the same mistake again.

There is no doubt about that.

But I can't agree that current geopolitics play no role in all these election results. Europeans surely can see that the Western alliance might degrade thanks to both Trump AND Brexit. Ironically, the pushback may end up making it stronger. Anyway, agree to disagree.

And hopefully the U.S. can look to Europe as models and vote likewise in 2018.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:26 pm

Sabin wrote:From twitter:

THE WORLD: "It is officially impossible for the world to make less sense than it does now."

JOHN MCCAIN: "Hold my alligator."

The big question is, what does his mother have to say about this? Actually, she is still alive. Roberta McCain is 105 years young.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:33 pm

danfrank wrote:People may well vote on their own country's issues, but I can't help but think that people are also amassing against the rise of far-right, nationalistic, xenophobic (particularly anti-Muslim) candidates throughout Europe and, yes, the U.S. The large youth turnout in Great Britain, for example, is being largely credited for the loss of seats by the Conservatives there. My guess is that these youth were more motivated to vote in this particular election in large part to take a stand against this broader wave.

The number of young people turning out to vote had a lot to do with Brexit where young people failed to get out there and vote and ended up with a result that they did not like - they only had themselves to blame.

They were not going to make the same mistake again.
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:50 pm

A slight change in title.

Next to "great", the most overused word in Trump's limited vocabulary is "amazing". I think it's a more fitting word to use in the title than "again", which even his most ardent supporters are still waiting for. Meanwhile they can console themselves that their soothsayer is still proclaiming that everything is going to be great and amazing. Even he's dropped "again" from his mutterings.

taki15
Temp

Postby taki15 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:08 pm

Trump's election was a real shock here in Europe, and watching him bumble and bully every American ally has certainly done no favors to the nationalistic/far-right parties who vocally and enthusiastically supported him last year.
To say that there is no connection between the collapse of populist-nationalists in Europe and Trump's election is to deny the obvious. Even in the UK, Conservatives suffered in London in no small part because of Trump's ridiculous feud with Khan.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:16 pm

I think younger voters are, on the whole, more global in their thinking, so I believe that some of the motivation is the Trump factor insomuch as the fact that religious conservative politicians in other nation were seeing how the Republicans and Trump managed to beat all expectations and win. many of them saw this as a roadmap to their majorities. The problem is that Trump has showcased how dangerous such rhetoric and unwavering neo-patriotism is and have seen it in their own politicians and decided to reject that type of ideology. The further see what can happen, with the US as an example, when you don't get out and vote and allow polls and assurances to dissuade you from voting in an election where your vote won't matter. They see that votes DO matter and react accordingly.

That's part of the issue. Britain also had that Brexit issue that they felt betrayed on and that also goosed participation. It's additionally thanks to Theresa May's blatant anti-Muslim rhetoric shortly after the concern and London Bridge attacks. That type of fearmongering doesn't play well to the younger generations.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:13 am

I have an anecdote to share, and I know that being an anecdote it's not worth much, but take it as you will. In 2005, my wife and I lived in the Netherlands for part of the year. (I posted from there a few times.) At the time, a common image we came across was a picture of G.W. Bush and a monkey's face side-by-side. My wife told me that she saw quite a few of these in her colleague's work cubicles. That has to account for something.

I get what you're saying, and I don't mean to say Trump was anyone's deciding factor, and I don't mean to deny that other countries have their own autonomous interests. But I remember that photo-op Theresa May took with Trump where they were nearly hand-in-hand. It's got to have some sort of effect.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

danfrank
Temp

Postby danfrank » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am

People may well vote on their own country's issues, but I can't help but think that people are also amassing against the rise of far-right, nationalistic, xenophobic (particularly anti-Muslim) candidates throughout Europe and, yes, the U.S. The large youth turnout in Great Britain, for example, is being largely credited for the loss of seats by the Conservatives there. My guess is that these youth were more motivated to vote in this particular election in large part to take a stand against this broader wave.

Return to “Current Events”