Everything Is Great and Amazing

Greg
Tenured

Re: Everything Is Great Again

Postby Greg » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:51 pm

Trumpcare crashes and burns. The House won't even vote on it.
A party without cake is just a meeting

― Julia Child

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:59 am

Nah, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. It's just a matter of time. As Lincoln said, "you can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

It won't get any better with Pence in charge, but at least we won't have the constant drama.

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:56 pm

My question is "What happens next?" Comey is a big question mark to me, but it seems unlikely that he won't find something incredibly damning considering that half of his job seems like it's already been done for him. Some definition of treason has been committed. What then? Nixon had to deal with a Democratic Congress and Senate. Trump doesn't. The Democrats don't have the votes to impeach him. So what? We're waiting for Republicans to cross party lines and stand up to him? Why would they start now when some of these people owe him their jobs and the republicans who opposed him lost? I hope I'm wrong but whenever anyone starts explaining to me how he could be removed from office, it has the same tone of those who said he could never be the nominee.

I think we're just stuck with him.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:43 pm

Mister Tee wrote:Sonic, I understand that one would like to be more quickly certain where and how high this Russia story is going, but properly executed law enforcement investigations aren't speedy things. I remind those who weren't around, that we started talking about Watergate in the Spring of 1973, and Nixon didn't resign until August 8th, 1974 -- and there were numerous lulls along the way during which people were continually predicting it would peter out short of major result. An analogy I heard yesterday: it's the pilot(law enforcement)'s job to land the plane safely, not to answer every passenger's question along the way.

My frustration has nothing to do with the slowness of it all. (Actually, I think things are developing pretty swiftly, as these things go.) It's that for months every time there's a minor development, everyone's flipping out like Rachel Maddow with the tax returns. We still don't know what went on and we have no real proof of anything yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this isn't very peculiar. It is. But it may end up being less than everyone is imagining it to be, or we may end up never obtaining the necessary evidence. I just want people to take a few breaths and relax, that's all.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:28 am

If Ryan was saying that it's not his job to defend any president, then the first sentence is correct. The second sentence, however, clearly refers to Mr. Trump and should say either "the current president" or "Mr. Trump".

If Ryan was referring specifically to Trump in the first sentence, then President should be capitalized in both instances.

Anyway, to get back to my original point, the way it's worded suggests, rightly or wrongly, that you respect Ryan but not Trump even though you're willing to give him more chances to screw up.

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:27 pm

Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.

I think my grammar was proper in this case.
"If you can't stand the nut on the left and you can't stand the nut on the right, go for the Johnson,” Jonathan S. Bush (10/21/2016)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:45 am

I couldn't find anything in the style guides that say that, although I did find a vague reference to "generally speaking".

My quote was from the latest version of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. Here are 101 more examples of the correct usage of President vs. president in a sentence:

http://in-a-sentence.com/Use/pr/president.html

FilmFan720
Tenured

Postby FilmFan720 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:41 pm

No, criddic is right. President is only capitalized when preceding a proper name, at least according to AP and MLA, the two most popular style guides.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:22 pm

criddic3 wrote:Grammatically correct, as I did not say "President Trump," I said "The president."

Actually, no, it's grammatically correct when referring to a specifically titled person to capitalize his title.

For example: "The governor of the state is the person in charge." is correct, but it's "The Governor called to ask my opinion on the matter."

or as the dictionary puts it:

Examples of president in a sentence

The President will hold a news conference tomorrow.
<the president of the international conference on genocide>

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:39 pm

At least something good can happen for the wrong reason.

Key conservative: GOP doesn't have votes on healthcare repeal:

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/32 ... acks-votes

― Julia Child

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Big Magilla wrote:
criddic3 wrote:There's no use to getting hysterical every time Trump says or does something. If there's something to uncover, it likely will be. It's very interesting that while the Democrats are salivating over every possible hint that Trump may be derailed, Republicans aren't exactly jumping at the chance to defend him. In fact, Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.

Freudian slip there, giving Ryan the courtesy of capitalizing his title, while not capitalizing Trump's?

To me, they're both jerks. Ryan is a heartless nerd. Trump is a two-faced lying piece of shit, always has been and always will be.

Grammatically correct, as I did not say "President Trump," I said "The president."
"If you can't stand the nut on the left and you can't stand the nut on the right, go for the Johnson,” Jonathan S. Bush (10/21/2016)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:53 am

Greg wrote:FBI: Trump campaign, Russia ties investigated, no wiretap evidence found:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/politics/ ... index.html

Yes, but all the Republicans on the Committee want to know is who leaked Flynn's name to the Washington Post because for them the crime isn't colluding with the Russians, it's getting caught.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:30 pm

FBI: Trump campaign, Russia ties investigated, no wiretap evidence found:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/20/politics/ ... index.html

― Julia Child

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:49 am

criddic3 wrote:There's no use to getting hysterical every time Trump says or does something. If there's something to uncover, it likely will be. It's very interesting that while the Democrats are salivating over every possible hint that Trump may be derailed, Republicans aren't exactly jumping at the chance to defend him. In fact, Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.

Freudian slip there, giving Ryan the courtesy of capitalizing his title, while not capitalizing Trump's?

To me, they're both jerks. Ryan is a heartless nerd. Trump is a two-faced lying piece of shit, always has been and always will be.

criddic3
Tenured

Postby criddic3 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:33 am

There's no use to getting hysterical every time Trump says or does something. If there's something to uncover, it likely will be. It's very interesting that while the Democrats are salivating over every possible hint that Trump may be derailed, Republicans aren't exactly jumping at the chance to defend him. In fact, Speaker Paul Ryan has said pretty bluntly that it's not his job to defend the president and won't go out of his way to do so. Let's keep in mind, however, that the president has only been in office two months.

Return to “Current Events”