Everything Is Great and Amazing

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Re: Everything Is Great Again

Postby Sonic Youth » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:18 pm

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/us/p ... .html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — The former F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, plans to testify on Thursday that President Trump repeatedly pressured him to publicly announce that he was not personally under federal investigation in connection with the Justice Department inquiry into Russian meddling in last year’s election.

Which reminds me of Trump's offhand remark in his letter to Comey firing him:

"While I greatly appreciate you informing me, on three separate occasions, that I am not under investigation..."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:31 pm

"Russian military intelligence executed a cyberattack on at least one U.S. voting software supplier and sent spear-phishing emails to more than 100 local election officials just days before last November’s presidential election, according to a highly classified intelligence report obtained by The Intercept:"

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top ... -election/

One bizarre twist is that the name of the person arrested by the FBI for leaking the document to The Intercept is Reality Winner.
"Wall Street is not the solution to our problem. Wall Street is the problem!"

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:28 pm

Sonic Youth wrote:And Greg, I didn't think I said anything too harsh, but if you feel so (I don't care what anybody else says) then I do apologize. It was, you know, a pretty rough, devastating day. For me, and for a lot of people.

It's okay. No hard feelings.

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:46 pm

And Greg, I didn't think I said anything too harsh, but if you feel so (I don't care what anybody else says) then I do apologize. It was, you know, a pretty rough, devastating day. For me, and for a lot of people.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:27 pm

flipp525 wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:Anyway, here's my bold prediction. Trump is NOT going to pull out of the Paris accord.

And you were wrong.

I can't believe that anyone was predicting he wouldn't pull out of the Paris Climate Accord. This was one the easiest of his campaign promises he could uphold for his base and he'll do anything to keep them happy. Even if it's just for a couple of hours.

And I maintain it was not an unreasonable prediction.

I mean, he promised to pull out of NATO and he went back on that, and he promised to pull out of NAFTA and he went back on that, and he promised to start a trade war with China and the "currency manipulator" and he went back on that, and he promised to pull out of the Iran deal and he went back on that. And anyone who actually follows the news - anyone who's not a "low-information voter" - might have seen a pattern here (considering that they are all regarding international treaties, and that he reportedly was persuaded by other people inside and outside his administration).

Anyone who predicted he would act on those predictions were also wrong. But I'd rather be wrong making an informed prediction than pop up four days after the fact to chide someone about it. At least the former takes some initiative. The latter takes none at all.

Is this really the issue you feel most compelled to clarify on a day like this?

This seems really trite to call Greg out on. As if there aren't seven to eight things to clarify, discuss, or dissect about this current administration on any given day.

That..... was the exact point I was making? That there are more important things to discuss than whether Trump outlasts the Paris Agreement or not. Do you see now that the point you just made to me is exactly the point I made?

And that, in the midst of the back-and-forth, I actually did clarify, discuss and dissect a few other "things" related to the Accord. Didn't I? I brought up the long-term consequences, and I mentioned how some states and companies would independently follow the Accord's guidelines anyway. You could have actually replied to those "things" and you could have made a valuable contribution, you know.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:05 am

Sonic Youth wrote:Anyway, here's my bold prediction. Trump is NOT going to pull out of the Paris accord.

And you were wrong.

I can't believe that anyone was predicting he wouldn't pull out of the Paris Climate Accord. This was one the easiest of his campaign promises he could uphold for his base and he'll do anything to keep them happy. Even if it's just for a couple of hours.

This seems really trite to call Greg out on. As if there aren't seven to eight things to clarify, discuss, or dissect about this current administration on any given day.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:01 pm

Greg wrote:Even if Trump is replaced by another Republican, e.g. Pence, if it happens before November, 2020, U.S. membership in the Paris Accord will still outlast the Trump Presidency.

"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:39 pm

Even if Trump is replaced by another Republican, e.g. Pence, if it happens before November, 2020, U.S. membership in the Paris Accord will still outlast the Trump Presidency.

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:18 pm

Greg wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:No, he'd be president until January 20th, 2021.

That's iffy.

He's not being replaced by a Democrat, if at all.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:12 pm

Sonic Youth wrote:No, he'd be president until January 20th, 2021.

That's iffy.

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:06 pm

Greg wrote:The U.S. will not be able to officially leave the Paris Accord until November, 2020. So, the way things are going, the U.S. membership in the Paris Accord will outlast the Trump Presidency, if it even finally leaves at all.

No, he'd be president until January 20th, 2021. Best case scenario, we're out of the Accord from November to January 21st. In between, some states will make a concerted effort to independently cut greenhouse emissions in accordance to the Accord's guidelines. Maybe most states will, if the outcry is strong enough. California is doing it already. I've already seen this:

https://twitter.com/billpeduto/status/8 ... 8344674304

So, it's possible there may not be any environmental harm done in the long run so long as we can get him out of office. But there are other ways to measure self-inflicted harm, and they're astronomical.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:18 pm

The U.S. will not be able to officially leave the Paris Accord until November, 2020. So, the way things are going, the U.S. membership in the Paris Accord will outlast the Trump Presidency, if it even finally leaves at all.

Ronald Reagan, corrected

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Clearly I must have some sort of block, whether it be mental or psychological. I just can't wish violent and physical suffering upon other people, and not with such graphic and emotional intensity.

I've changed my mind.

Please start slurring your speech, Mr. "President".
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:25 pm

I'm never going to second-guess this guy again. He's gone back on his word about NAFTA and other things, I thought he'd do so here.

Considering we signed on to the accord only a few months ago, one could argue that we haven't really lost anything. Just our international standing and our superpower status, that's all.

Any spontaneous protests this weekend?
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:10 am

I hated Nixon from the get-go, but I never questioned his intelligence. George W. Bush was the first president in my lifetime who I actually thought was dumb. Donald Trump is a smart man of business, but in every other way a moron and so are a good percentage of the people who voted for him and continue to support him no matter what. The others are opportunists. He'll get his comeuppance when the opportunists finally see him as a liability no longer able to support their agenda.

Nixon elicited sympathy in his old age. Trump and the monsters that surround him won't. History won't be so forgiving this time.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire

Return to “Current Events”