Web of Sex Scandals

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Postby OscarGuy » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:29 pm

Attractive people generally don't have to solicit sex or force others into sex. It's the despicable ones who do. I'd guess that Beatty, as much of a dick I've heard he is, probably had plenty of women throwing themselves at him.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Sabin, even with everything so far, it will still be far from everybody. You need to consider Kathleen Turner's line from Prizzi's Honor, "Well, it's not many when you consider the size of the population."

The one person I'm surprised has not been implicated so far is Warren Beatty. Perhaps, he had a very high sex drive and had sex with a lot of women; but, did not have a desire to exert his power by making unwanted advances and only had sex with the many women who wanted to have sex with him.
Bankers don’t like budget deficits because they compete with bank loans as a source of growth.

James K. Galbraith

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Who had John Lasseter?

Oh that's right. Nobody. It's really gonna be everyone, isn't it?
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Sonic Youth wrote:

I'm overwhelmed by all the hot takes here.

Always avoiding the main points, right, Sonic Youth? But of course vilifying people is easier...

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:14 am

ITALIANO wrote:
Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
As I've said before, there's a witch hunt going on that will take the innocent with the guilty.

But is it a witch hunt if it takes the guilty? The meaning of the phrase, I thought, was for something that's a massive and complete fabrication. Not a single person accused in the Salem Witch Hunts was an actual witch.

Maybe because witches don't exist...?

I'm overwhelmed by all the hot takes here.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:37 am

Sonic Youth wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:
As I've said before, there's a witch hunt going on that will take the innocent with the guilty.

But is it a witch hunt if it takes the guilty? The meaning of the phrase, I thought, was for something that's a massive and complete fabrication. Not a single person accused in the Salem Witch Hunts was an actual witch.

Maybe because witches don't exist...?

The idea that if it takes the guilty along with the innocent then it must have some raison d'etre is a grotesque one. This isn't The Scarlet Letter anymore - this is An American Tragedy. In more ways than one.

Precious Doll
Tenured

Postby Precious Doll » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:36 am

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/featu ... ds-1059752

Nate Parker cannot be compared to Casey Affleck. The difference of the allegations are worlds apart.

Three major points for me are that:

1) Nate Parker made a crappy film that deserved to die critically and commercially based solely on it's own 'merits' or in this case lack of;

2) Casey Affleck's Oscar win was well earned. It's actually high on my list of most deserved Oscar wins (ditto Roman Polanski's director award for The Pianist);

3) And that is what the Oscar's should be about: awarding the best of the year, which they usually don't get right. Not based on personal actions from the past. They are not running for political office!
"I have no interest in all of that. I find that all tabloid stupidity" Woody Allen, The Guardian, 2014, in response to his adopted daughter's allegations.

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Mister Tee wrote:The Charlie Rose allegations -- like the Weinstein ones, and the Jeremy Piven ones -- are really serious, and seemingly broadly enough backed to merit presumption of likely guilt. But they just underscore what weak sauce the Franken accusations are. Yet there are lefties who are ready to toss Al over the side in the name of high purity (much like they once were ready to jettison Shirley Sherrod -- remember her?)

As long as there are politicians like John Conyers, Al is safe.

If you're going to be accused of groping, make sure it happens in the morning. Chances are, by the end of the day you'll look more like William Jennings Bryan.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Mister Tee wrote:The Charlie Rose allegations -- like the Weinstein ones, and the Jeremy Piven ones -- are really serious, and seemingly broadly enough backed to merit presumption of likely guilt. But they just underscore what weak sauce the Franken accusations are. Yet there are lefties who are ready to toss Al over the side in the name of high purity (much like they once were ready to jettison Shirley Sherrod -- remember her?). They also seem to want to -- I don't know -- designate Bill Clinton an official Bad Guy (for actions that took place before many of them were even following politics)?

It brings to mind the old joke, A liberal is someone so open-minded he refuses to take his own side in an argument.

Exactly. I had to change the channel on Mika Brzezinski this morning. I don't know if I'll ever watch Morning Joe again.

She went a tirade in support of Kirstin Gillibrand this morning that included her oft given rant that Hillary needs to go away, that Bill Clinton is still making money when he should have been run out of the White House when all those women came forward in the 90s. She had a fit over Trump's tweet that Hillary should run again in 2020, not because Trump was being an asshole (as usual) but because she couldn't take another Hillary run.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm

The Charlie Rose allegations -- like the Weinstein ones, and the Jeremy Piven ones -- are really serious, and seemingly broadly enough backed to merit presumption of likely guilt. But they just underscore what weak sauce the Franken accusations are. Yet there are lefties who are ready to toss Al over the side in the name of high purity (much like they once were ready to jettison Shirley Sherrod -- remember her?). They also seem to want to -- I don't know -- designate Bill Clinton an official Bad Guy (for actions that took place before many of them were even following politics)?

It brings to mind the old joke, A liberal is someone so open-minded he refuses to take his own side in an argument.

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:04 pm

If a dictionary says that's what "Witch Hunt" means, then I suppose I have to defer to it. Sometimes it's hard to tell with a colloquialism.

BTW, I just read that Harvey Weinstein's lawyer also used to be Charlie Rose's lawyer. Some coincidence.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Details on Charlie Rose. This is really bad.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3646925

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:12 pm

Breaking news:

Charlie Rose has been suspended by both PBS and CBS due to "alleged sexual misconduct" - more to follow.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:11 pm

Definition of witch hunt:

formal:

a search for and subsequent persecution of a supposed witch.

informal:

a campaign directed against a person or group holding unorthodox or unpopular views.

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Big Magilla wrote:

"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Return to “Current Events”