Web of Sex Scandals

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Postby Reza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:45 pm

Uri wrote:
Reza wrote:Yes, there should ideally be no sexual harrassment but it is a direct result of the sexual revolution your society craved and fought for.

Really? That's your ultimate argument?/quote]

Yes, it must be because I'm "repugnant".

:)

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:29 pm

OscarGuy wrote:Reza doubles down on the sexism. Thanks for highlighting that comment, Uri. I must have skimmed over that. That is truly a repugnant thing to say.

:)

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:11 pm

Damon: ""We're in this watershed moment, and it's great, but I think one thing that's not being talked about is there are a whole s---load of guys — the preponderance of men I've worked with — who don't do this kind of thing and whose lives aren't going to be affected,""

Yes. We're literally not talking about #NotAllMen.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:19 pm

Reza doubles down on the sexism. Thanks for highlighting that comment, Uri. I must have skimmed over that. That is truly a repugnant thing to say.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:10 pm

Uri wrote:
Reza wrote:Yes, there should ideally be no sexual harrassment but it is a direct result of the sexual revolution your society craved and fought for.

Really? That's your ultimate argument?

Marco?

Marco what? Are you implying that I agree with that? Then you still don't understand what I said Uri, sorry... :)

Uri
Adjunct

Postby Uri » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:22 pm

Really? That's your ultimate argument?

Marco?

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:
It's a lesson certain people on this board need to learn.

Names please.

Well certainly prim Phillip for one lol

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:47 pm

OscarGuy wrote:What Okri MEANT was that Damon is inserting his foot in his mouth. This isn't about freedom of speech or Puritanism or racism. It's about speaking out of turn. It's about learning to speak with consideration and moderation, not saying whatever fool thing comes into your mind. All he's doing, by speaking on this subject, is showcasing his privileged position. Maybe he understands what women are going through and empathizes with them. However, his opinions on the subject are immaterial and when you're privileged, you tend to say things that just showcase that privilege.

Freedom of speech is not the same thing as freedom from repercussions. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to speak, what Okri is implying is that perhaps he should guard his speech and not just open his mouth when he may end up doing more damage than he thinks he will. So, Okri is suggesting that Damon is only hurting himself by speaking out on the subject and saying stupid things, which is why his publicist would want to staple his mouth shut to keep him from damaging himself.

Dude there was no need for this long winded explanation. I already understood what Damon said, what he was trying to say and what he should not have said.

The situation is now getting so out of hand that even a wink at someone could now be misconstrued as sexual harrassment. There is no stopping anyone from retaliating. It's scary and not helped by many like you who are ready to jump down people's throats for asking questions.

I was only trying to add once again that all of you are far too trigger happy in this current scenario failing to see that each case is different and all cannot be lumped together. Yes, there should ideally be no sexual harrassment but it is a direct result of the sexual revolution your society craved and fought for. No amount of flogging your chests is going to make it go away. Speaking out is an excellent start as a means of bringing it out in the open. But you may as well reconcile yourselves to the fact that it's not going anytime soon or at all.
Last edited by Reza on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:44 pm

flipp525 wrote:Reza, you seem overly-invested to say the least. We all remember how you referred to a rape victim once as a “slut” so I really don’t think your opinions on the many dangers of being too politically correct (nevertheless, your multiple, voluminous posts on the subject) really hold all that much water here.

I think I called you a "slut" some years ago but I swear I didn't know you had been raped. I'm now sorry I called you a "slut". Please forgive me.

And kindly desist from acting like bloody Yoda forever dispensing unwanted "sage" advice. You don't HAVE to read my "voluminous" posts. Close your eyes just as I do when you pop up here. Have been doing it for years.
Last edited by Reza on Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 pm

OscarGuy wrote:

Names please.

flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:20 am

Reza, you seem overly-invested to say the least. We all remember how you referred to a rape victim once as a “slut” so I really don’t think your opinions on the many dangers of being too politically correct (nevertheless, your multiple, voluminous posts on the subject) really hold all that much water here.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:53 am

What Okri MEANT was that Damon is inserting his foot in his mouth. This isn't about freedom of speech or Puritanism or racism. It's about speaking out of turn. It's about learning to speak with consideration and moderation, not saying whatever fool thing comes into your mind. All he's doing, by speaking on this subject, is showcasing his privileged position. Maybe he understands what women are going through and empathizes with them. However, his opinions on the subject are immaterial and when you're privileged, you tend to say things that just showcase that privilege.

Freedom of speech is not the same thing as freedom from repercussions. No one is saying he doesn't have the right to speak, what Okri is implying is that perhaps he should guard his speech and not just open his mouth when he may end up doing more damage than he thinks he will. So, Okri is suggesting that Damon is only hurting himself by speaking out on the subject and saying stupid things, which is why his publicist would want to staple his mouth shut to keep him from damaging himself.

Wesley Lovell

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Reza
Tenured Laureate

Postby Reza » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:36 am

Okri wrote:On the other hand, Matt Damon is asking people to differentiate amongst the spectrum of sexual harassment. His publicist must want to staple his mouth shut.

"Staple his mouth shut"? So now the famous "freedom of speech" is also being put under the spotlight. And no, before any trigger happy cowboy here decides to shoot me from the hip, I'm not saying I agree with Damon.

Another very "white" American friend had this to say about the on going brouhaha in the United States:

"The pendulum swings. America has the Puritanical urge in its DNA and yet there is the celebration in individual freedom to do almost anything one likes. Clearly, those two urges are in conflict, and most Americans don’t know what to do but figure out the prevailing wind of the day and then start shooting from the hip. We can’t even pose a question without putting ourselves in the spotlight as one who is suspect of being “impure.” I’m fascinated watching people trying to argue for sexual freedom and permissiveness while also arguing good manners and behavior. Sexual passion is by its very nature not well-ordered or well-mannered, which is why it has normally been restricted to marriage—and sometimes managed prostitution in liberal societies".

It seems this very sexual permissiveness which was fought for and won has now come back to bite many in their ass.

Maybe it's time to go back to what the Bible says about sex?

Okri
Tenured

Postby Okri » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 pm

On the other hand, Matt Damon is asking people to differentiate amongst the spectrum of sexual harassment. His publicist must want to staple his mouth shut.

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Late last week it came out that Peter Jackson had considered both Mira Sorvino and Ashley Judd for roles in the Lord of the Rings movies, but Weinstein (who partially funded the movies) told them that they were nightmares to work with and they should avoid working with them. Terry Zwigoff also said that he wanted Sorvino for Bad Santa, but every time he brought her name up to Weinstein, he would hang up the phone. Weinstein, who still has a spokesperson for some reason, has denied having any input on casting in either film.

I'd be willing to bet that many other actresses were similarly kneecapped by Weinstein.

Return to “Current Events”