Celebrities And Politics

Steph2
Assistant

Postby Steph2 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:32 pm

Jack Nicholson has always been a Clinton whore, so no shocker there. (When Bill fucks around, Jackie Boy probably gives him a personal salute!) The real shocker is that he's determined to continue his cultural irrelevance by endorsing Hillary. And after the Academy has worked SO hard for years to pretend he still means something to contemporary American films too! For shame!

Akash
Professor

Postby Akash » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Edit

Edited By Akash on 1204493262

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:05 pm

Jack Nicholson endorses Hillary Clinton:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=VUCx8qKlvKM

Um... hookay.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1204491937
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:04 am

BOSTON ROCKER TELLS HUCKABEE TO LAY OFF

by HOLLY RAMER

CONCORD, N.H. (AP Feb 16) - The chief songwriter and founder of the band Boston has more than a feeling that he's being ripped off by Mike Huckabee. In a letter to the Republican presidential hopeful, Tom Scholz complains that Huckabee is using his 1970s smash hit song "More Than a Feeling" without his permission.

A former member of the band, Barry Goudreau, has appeared with Huckabee at campaign events, and they have played the song with Huckabee's band, Capitol Offense.

Scholz, who said Goudreau left the band more than 25 years ago after a three-year stint, objects to the implication that the band and one of its members has endorsed Huckabee's candidacy.

"Boston has never endorsed a political candidate, and with all due respect, would not start by endorsing a candidate who is the polar opposite of most everything Boston stands for," wrote Scholz, adding that he is supporting Democratic Sen. Barack Obama. "By using my song, and my band's name Boston, you have taken something of mine and used it to promote ideas to which I am opposed. In other words, I think I've been ripped off, dude!"

Fred Bramante, who was chairman of Huckabee's New Hampshire campaign, called the allegations ridiculous. He said he attended dozens of Huckabee rallies in New Hampshire and other states and never heard Huckabee play "More Than a Feeling," other than when Goudreau campaigned with him in Iowa in October.

"Governor Huckabee plays 'Sweet Home Alabama.' Does that mean Lynyrd Skynyrd is endorsing him? He plays 'Louie Louie.' Does that mean The Kingsmen are endorsing him? To me, it's ridiculous," he said. "Never once has he said, 'The band Boston endorses me.'

Scholz, in a telephone interview Friday, said he understands "More Than a Feeling" has been a centerpiece at some rallies, and said Goudreau is identified with the band in an endorsement video.

"Whenever a campaign publicly exploits a well-known song, there is some inference of support" by the band or artist, he added.

He recommends that Huckabee "stick to music recorded by far-right Republicans."

Tensions between Scholz and some of the early band members date from the early 1980s, when CBS Inc. sued the band over delays in recording new albums. The company's Epic Records label recorded the band's first two releases: "Boston," in 1976, and "Don't Look Back," in 1978.

Scholz - who wrote, engineered, and laid down nearly all the instrumental tracks on the first album - countersued for the rights to the band's name and music. Three members of the original band, including Goudreau, testified for the record company, which lost.

In his letter, Scholz referred to Huckabee as the "straight talk candidate," but that label more often is applied to Sen. John McCain, who has had his own troubles when it comes to his musical playlist. Last week, McCain's campaign agreed to stop playing John Mellencamp's songs "Our Country" and "Pink Houses" at his rallies after the liberal rocker complained.

Mellencamp had supported Democrat John Edwards, who recently dropped out of the race.

Other candidates have had better luck selecting songs. Celine Dion said she was "thrilled" that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton used her song, "You and I" as her official campaign anthem. Obama frequently blares U2's "City of Blinding Lights" at his events.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:35 pm

From the NY Times:

Mike Huckabee may have the support of Chuck Norris, but Barack Obama has someone new to watch his back: Robert De Niro.

You got a problem with that?

As the crowd at the Meadowlands awaited Mr. Obama’s arrival, Mr. De Niro made a surprise appearance and received a thunderous welcome. Mr. De Niro said he’d never before made a political speech, and the actor made a special appeal to the young people and first-time voters, saying that Mr. Obama gave them someone to gather behind.

“You wanted to vote, you just didn’t have anyone to vote for,” he said. ” Well you know what? I felt the same way. Until now.”

Mr. De Niro introduced Senator Edward M. Kennedy of Massachusetts; his niece Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of President John F. Kennedy; and Mr. Obama, who were greeted with raucous applause by the crowd, which had grown to about 3,000 by the time the candidate began his speech.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:44 am

The Obama video is at

http://www.dipdive.com/

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:25 pm

Celeb-Filled Music Video for Obama
Song from Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am Inspired by Obama Speech
Feb. 2, 2008 —

Celebrity-filled music videos have been used to support many social movements, from famine relief for Africa, to support for American farmers, to opposition to apartheid in South Africa.

But rarely have celebrities and musicians banded together to create new music in the heat of a presidential campaign.

The Black Eyed Peas' frontman, songwriter and producer known as will.i.am, along with director and filmmaker Jesse Dylan, son of another socially active musician, Bob Dylan, released a new song Friday that attempts to do just that.

The music video "Yes We Can" premiered on ABCNewsNow's "What's the Buzz" on Friday. It was inspired, will.i.am told ABC's Alisha Davis, by Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign and in particular by the speech he has gave after the New Hampshire primary.

"It made me reflect on the freedoms I have, going to school where I went to school, and the people that came before Obama like Martin Luther King, presidents like Abraham Lincoln that paved the way for me to be sitting here on ABCNews and making a song from Obama's speech," will.i.am said.

"The speech was inspiring about making change in America and I believe what it says and I hope everybody votes," Dylan said.

The music video includes excerpts from the Obama speech and appearances from a range of celebrities including: Scarlett Johansson, John Legend, Herbie Hancock, Kate Walsh, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Adam Rodriquez, Kelly Hu, Adam Rodriquez, Amber Valetta and Nick Cannon.

When word got out about the song, will.i.am and Dylan said people were eager to participate.

"I'm blown away by how many people wanted to come and be a part of it in a short amount of time. It was all out of love and hope for change and really representing America and looking at the world," will.i.am said.

Dylan and will.i.am say they did not coordinate the production or release of this video with the Obama campaign and the filmmakers say they don't even know if Obama is aware of the video.

"We didn't talk to anybody there... We just came together because it was an inspirational song about change coming out of his speech," Dylan said.

And what change do will.i.am and Dylan say they hope to see?

"Education, America's finance, getting our dollar back to where it should be, stopping the war, health and international policies," they said.
"What the hell?"

Win Butler

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:39 pm

Damien wrote:GRATEFUL DEAD TO REUNITE FOR OBAMA CONCERT

I bet they're all older than John McCain.

Edited By Greg on 1201988412

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:38 am

GRATEFUL DEAD TO REUNITE FOR OBAMA CONCERT

Sat Feb 2, 2008
SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters Life!) - The Grateful Dead, the San Francisco cult rock band that has played at political events since the 1960s, will reunite on Monday for the first time in four years to rally support for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, a spokesman said on Friday.

Band leader Jerry Garcia died in 1995. Surviving members have played together occasionally since then, most recently in 2004. On Monday, original members Mickey Hart, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir will play at a San Francisco theater a day before California's primary.

"They have agreed to reunite for this one-time-only event in order to lend support to Senator Obama leading into the crucial 'Super-Tuesday' series of primaries held on Tuesday, February 5th," the band said in a statement.

The band gained fame with its free-form psychedelic music when the counterculture movement flourished in San Francisco in the 1960s, and they attracted many loyal fans who came to be known as "Deadheads."

========================
From San Jose Mercury-News:

Dead to hold concert for Obama
By Shay Quillen

Three surviving members of the Grateful Dead - Mickey Hart, Phil Lesh and Bob Weir - will reunite at 7:30 p.m. Monday at the Warfield in San Francisco for "Deadheads for Obama," a concert to support Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama.

The concert, which will also feature Lesh's current band of Friends - Jackie Greene, John Molo and Steve Molitz - marks the first time Hart, Lesh and Weir have performed together since 2004.

According to a press release from the band, the show is a one-time event designed to lend support to Obama leading into the crucial "Super Tuesday" series of primaries and caucuses to be held in California and more than 20 other states the following day.

Tickets for $35 sold out almost immediately after the show was announced on Friday afternoon, but those who missed out can view a live simulcast at www.iclips.net.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 am

MORRISON ENDORSES OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT

By NEDRA PICKLER
Washington Jan 28 (AP) - The woman who famously labeled Bill Clinton as the "first black president" is backing Barack Obama to be the second.

Author Toni Morrison said her endorsement of the Democratic presidential candidate has little to do with Obama's race - he is the son of a black father from Kenya and a white mother from Kansas - but rather his personal gifts.

Writing with the touch of a poet in a letter to the Illinois senator, Morrison explained why she chose Obama over Hillary Rodham Clinton for her first public presidential endorsement.

Morrison, whose acclaimed novels usually concentrate on the lives of black women, said she has admired Clinton for years because of her knowledge and mastery of politics, but then dismissed that experience in favor of Obama's vision.

"In addition to keen intelligence, integrity and a rare authenticity, you exhibit something that has nothing to do with age, experience, race or gender and something I don't see in other candidates," Morrison wrote. "That something is a creative imagination which coupled with brilliance equals wisdom. It is too bad if we associate it only with gray hair and old age. Or if we call searing vision naivete. Or if we believe cunning is insight. Or if we settle for finessing cures tailored for each ravaged tree in the forest while ignoring the poisonous landscape that feeds and surrounds it.

"Wisdom is a gift; you can't train for it, inherit it, learn it in a class, or earn it in the workplace - that access can foster the acquisition of knowledge, but not wisdom," Morrison wrote.

In 1998, Morrison wrote a column for the New Yorker magazine in which she wrote of Bill Clinton: "White skin notwithstanding, this is our first black president. Blacker than any actual black person who could ever be elected in our children's lifetime. After all, Clinton displays almost every trope of blackness: single-parent household, born poor, working-class, saxophone-playing, McDonald's-and-junk-food-loving boy from Arkansas."

Obama responded to Morrison's endorsement with a written statement: "Toni Morrison has touched a nation with the grace and beauty of her words, and I was deeply moved and honored by the letter she wrote and the support she is giving our campaign."

Edited By Damien on 1201598206

Steph2
Assistant

Postby Steph2 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:17 pm

No wonder Angelina doesn't talk to him.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm

From the New York Times:

The actor Jon Voight stumped with Mr. Giuliani {in Florida} as well, calling him an angel sent from heaven to save New York. Mr. Voight said that in the end, he believed the voters would choose Mr. Giuliani — just as he had won the role of Joe Buck, the aspiring gigolo in “Midnight Cowboy,” over a better known actor.

“When people go to the polls, and they make this one little pause before they vote, and they say, Who will make the best president,” Mr. Voight said, “and of course they say, well of course, Rudy Giuliani — they’re going to vote for him.”
================

As Bugs might say, What a maroon!

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:05 pm

Steph2 wrote:Great, will we get a video now of McCain running up and down the Rocky Steps? Oh wait he can't. He's FIVE HUNDRED YEARS OLD.

Be careful, McCain might send his mother to bitch slap you.

Steph2
Assistant

Postby Steph2 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:49 am

Great, will we get a video now of McCain running up and down the Rocky Steps? Oh wait he can't. He's FIVE HUNDRED YEARS OLD.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:43 am

At the Republican debate tonight (aka A Confederacy of Dunces) John McCain announced that he was endorsed by Sylvester Stallone.

Return to “Current Events”