Chernobyl

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Re: Chernobyl

Postby Franz Ferdinand » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:29 pm

Will also wait for the blu-ray of this, though it is a very raw topic to me personally - I was a three-year old living in nearby Hungary at the time of the disaster, and I often wonder if it had something to do with my mother's eventually succumbing to breast cancer in 2012.

A great read I would recommend to pad your knowledge of this topic is Svetlana Alexievich's "Voices from Chernobyl" - as difficult a read as I'm sure the series is a watch.

Mister Tee
Laureate

Postby Mister Tee » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:14 pm

I did much the same as you, dws: held off till it was almost complete, and watched the whole series over a week.

Excellent show, with a wide scope. Some of it was heart-crushing -- I know my wife would have made me turn it off at some point during episode 4 -- but it managed to be both thoughtful and suspenseful/gripping, while also relating to the broader socio-political context.

I found the early scenes with Gorbachev particularly interesting. He's fairly inscrutable in these scenes -- hardly a hero, but skeptical/practical enough that I found myself wondering if, seeing what a mess the traditional Soviet secrecy/paranoia made of everything, he was pushed to become the Gorbachev of glasnost who was to emerge so startlingly over the years immediately following.

I don't think of the show as particularly an actors' vehicle -- not compared to, say, Fosse/Verdon, which is nowhere near as good overall, but which contains a Michelle Williams performance for the ages. But Jared Harris anchors the story solidly, and Emily Watson/Stellan Skarsgaard (a Breaking the Waves reunion!) are very good, as well.

I probably haven't seen half this year's Emmy contenders, but this show stands out easily among those I have.

Precious Doll
Emeritus

Postby Precious Doll » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:24 am

Looking forward to this but will wait for the Blu Ray release.
“Those Koreans. They’re so suspicious, you know, ever since Hiroshima.” Constance Langdon (Jessica Lange) from American Horror Story: Season One

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:30 am

It's on my agenda to binge watch when I have the time.

dws1982
Tenured

Chernobyl

Postby dws1982 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 pm

Has anyone else watched?

I waited until the entire series had aired so I could watch it without having to wait a week. I've watched through episode two. So far it's absolutely riveting stuff--one of the best miniseries I've seen in a long time.

Return to “Broadcast Media”