Official A LITTLE LIFE Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Mister Tee
Laureate

Re: Official A LITTLE LIFE Thread

Postby Mister Tee » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm working on comments, but, surprise, they're a little lengthy, and I haven't yet had time to organize them all. Am busy this evening, as well, but I hope to find some time tomorrow to get it coherent.

flipp525
Laureate

Re: Official A LITTLE LIFE Thread

Postby flipp525 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:12 am

Thanks for creating this thread, Okri.

Being me, I of course have some quibbles, but they're probably better saved for another thread, to avoid spoilers. What I'll say here is, this a hugely ambitious and successful novel, and I recommend it highly.

Looking forward to getting into a discussion when everyone is ready.

I'll start off with one thought/question: Yanagihara does a lot of intentional withholding of information in the novel - predominantly about Jude's past. How effective was it for you as a reader to learn about Jude's backstory in such a methodical, onion-peeling way? I appreciated the way she would drop small hints in the present-day narrative that spoke of much darker material that was on its way. For example, "Not having sex: it was one of the best things about being an adult" (p. 305). That was just shocking.

Two of the scenes from the novel that have most stayed with me (although there are many) are 1) when JB does his cruel imitation of Jude's walk and 2) the horrifying scene when Caleb beats Jude and then kicks him down the stairs at the Greene Street condo leading to the breathtaking "x=x" passage which is some of the strongest prose in the entire book.

Could there ever be a successful film adaptation of this novel?
Last edited by flipp525 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Okri
Tenured

Official A LITTLE LIFE Thread

Postby Okri » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:51 pm

For Flipp and Tee (and anyone else who has read the book). I just got my copy today, so I'll stay out of this thread for now.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”