What's everybody reading?

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
flipp525
Laureate

Postby flipp525 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:44 pm

I'm reading a collection of short stories by John Updike called The Afterlife (1994). I've enjoyed some of them, but several are very similar in plot and theme (he literally has back-to-back stories both featuring a man coming home to take care of his dead mother's estate. I mean, come on!)

Juggling with that, I'm also reading Thomas Friedman's classic The World is Flat (2005) which I'm finding utterly fascinating and very topical.

A couple weekends ago, I read Zoe Heller's Notes on a Scandal (2003) in one day on the beach. It was a page-turner even though I obviously already knew the ending.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell

Penelope
Site Admin

Postby Penelope » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

Here's what I've read so far this year:

1. Lonesome Dove (1985), Larry McMurtry -- ****
2. Fatal Purity: Robespierre and the French Revolution (2006), Ruth Scurr -- ***1/2
3. Ivanhoe (1819), Sir Walter Scott -- ***1/2
4. Bel-Ami (1885), Guy de Maupassant -- ***1/2
5. The Stranger (1942), Albert Camus -- ***
6. Queen Victoria (2003), Walter L. Arnstein -- ***
7. The Three Musketeers (1844), Alexandre Dumas -- ***
8. Napoleon III: A Life (1999), Fenton Bresler -- ***
9. Mexico: From Montezuma to the Fall of the PRI (2001), Jaime Suchlicki -- **1/2

Currently reading Jane Eyre (1847) by Charlotte Brontë.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:58 pm

I'm in my umpteenth month reading The Golden Compass...no time to read...no time to watch movies (3 or 4 weeks now sitting on Bleu, Blanc et Rouge...).

Edited By OscarGuy on 1240430335
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Movielover
Graduate

Postby Movielover » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Last week, on a TERRIBLE cruise (it was Norwegian Cruise Line - never again!), I read In Evil Hour (Gabriel Garcia Marquez), The Arrivants (Edward Brathwaite), and Koolaids: The Art of War (Rabih Alameddine).

The last one was the most interesting. It was a collage of passages - some news clippings - some emails - some plays - some prose. Very interesting, but I don't know how to feel about the piece as a whole. Anyone here familiar with it? Thoughts?

I'm starting Quo Vadis and it's really, really good so far.

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”