OFTA Nominations

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:26 pm

I don't know, jack, send me your full name by e-mail and I'll check. I had a few messages that failed to go through, so maybe.

And, I won't copy my screeners to the OFTA because it's illegal.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

jack
Assistant

Postby jack » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:50 pm

I thought I was a member. I didn't get a ballot email.

And Wes, why don't you start copying your screeners and posting them to all OFTA members?

I am kidding.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:34 pm

Sabin wrote:Nine got a nomination for Most Cinematic Moment? How is that possible? Everyone on this Board hated that movie! Did anybody like this movie?

Apparently enough people liked Fergie's big moment.

Not everyone on this board is a member of OFTA and vice versa but in general terms the nominations probably do reflect the majority of members of the UAADB, just not the most vocal ones.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:05 pm

There are just over 50 members in the OFTA.
Wesley Lovell

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

FilmFan720
Tenured

Postby FilmFan720 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:03 pm

Out of curiosity, Wesley, how many voters are there in OFTA?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Postby OscarGuy » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:49 pm

The OFTA does not get screeners.
Wesley Lovell

Sonic Youth
Laureate

Postby Sonic Youth » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Damien wrote:That's why I never join these online groups (despite the prospect of getting screeners).

I'll be more than happy to join OFTA if it means getting screeners.

If I have to vote 'Nine' for Best Picture in order to get screeners, I'll whore my vote out. No problem!
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 pm

Damien wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
Sabin wrote:Nine got a nomination for Most Cinematic Moment? How is that possible? Everyone on this Board hated that movie! Did anybody like this movie?

Exactly. And more in general, these nominations dont seem to mirror this board at all. This board is MUCH better, so I was kind of surprised. It is, as for so many other awards, just a case of let's-guess-the-Oscars. And do people here only watch American movies?! No screenplay nomination for a foreign movie? Only Americans know how to write a movie? Please.

That's why I never join these online groups (despite the prospect of getting screeners). I have my own particular taste and would not want to be associated with an organization that thinks Avatar, District 9, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air are the 5 best pictures of the year.

Very true. Yet, if more people like you (or even me) joined such groups the results would be probably different, more varied and certainly more interesting.

Damien
Laureate

Postby Damien » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:20 pm

ITALIANO wrote:

Exactly. And more in general, these nominations dont seem to mirror this board at all. This board is MUCH better, so I was kind of surprised. It is, as for so many other awards, just a case of let's-guess-the-Oscars. And do people here only watch American movies?! No screenplay nomination for a foreign movie? Only Americans know how to write a movie? Please.

That's why I never join these online groups (despite the prospect of getting screeners). I have my own particular taste and would not want to be associated with an organization that thinks Avatar, District 9, The Hurt Locker, Inglourious Basterds and Up in the Air are the 5 best pictures of the year.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Sabin
Laureate

Postby Sabin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:56 pm

Nine got a nomination for Most Cinematic Moment? How is that possible? Everyone on this Board hated that movie! Did anybody like this movie?

I like the noms for Capaldi, McKay, In the Loop for Ensemble and Adapted Screenplay (Precious is REALLY a better script than Fantastic Mr. Fox?), Revanche, Summer Hours, and An Education for Costume Design. I don't like Ben Foster's LOOK AT ME! leading performance in The Messenger getting him in over Damon, Phoenix, or Stuhlbarg, nor do I understand why District 9 gets a Cinematography nomination over A Serious Man or Where the Wild Things Are let alone 12 other nominations. It's a good movie but there were better.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:29 pm

Forgot about that one. Probably wishful thinking.

Eric
Tenured

Postby Eric » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:40 pm

Big Magilla wrote:Nine is limited to one nomination for Original Song and two for Adapted Song.

And one nomination for "Most Cinematic Moment." Hoo boy.

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Postby Big Magilla » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:52 am

Nine is limited to one nomination for Original Song and two for Adapted Song. At least we didn't vote for those garish costumes, which is probably more than we will be able to say for the Academy come Tuesday morning.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 am

Once again, the same names. Lots of so-so, sometimes embarassing (Sandra Bullock, Cinema Italiano...) choices. Very American too.

Return to “82nd Predictions and Precursors”