Web of Sex Scandals

dws1982
Tenured

Re: Web of Sex Scandals

Postby dws1982 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:36 am

ITALIANO wrote:The article is detailed and, yes, graphic, but as the general age on this board is, well, quite older than 18, I don't understand the warning.

The warning comes from personal experience. Some may not understand how difficult it can be to see this information without warning. I wish I didn't understand.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:03 am

dws1982 wrote:Bryan Singer's Accusers Speak Out

If there's anything good that comes out of the Bohemian Rhapsody Oscar hype, maybe it's that this story could finish Singer in the way that Spacey's and Weinstein's allegations finished them.

Just a warning: The article has some pretty graphic language. In addition to the length, it's too potentially-triggering to just put out (or link to) without warning.

I am never happy when someone - or his career - is "finished", but I guess I am in the minority here, and I am proud to be.

The article is detailed and, yes, graphic, but as the general age on this board is, well, quite older than 18, I don't understand the warning. Such things sadly happens - not only in the much-hated (here) and I think much-envied (here) show-business world but in many other contexts, and often closer to us that we may imagine. It's better to know them than to ignore them. I personally find corruption or violence (and it's not like these things don't happen in America) equally unpleasant and repulsive. But this board seems to be more obsessed with sex.

If even one of the - several, but sometimes contradictory, and not all of the same level of gravity - accusations is proven to be true, especially those to refer to VERY young victims, Singer should obviously pay for his crime. I think he should also be subjected to a serious medical treatment. I don't care at all about his career.

Let me add that while I am completely - should I really repeat this? YES, I'm afraid - on the side of any real victim of sexual harassment, it's not ALWAYS true that the failure of one's life depends on that single, and certainly traumatic, fact.

And now let's wait for the little foxes' reaction...

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:54 am

Thanks for sharing. It is indeed very graphic.
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:38 pm

Bryan Singer's Accusers Speak Out

If there's anything good that comes out of the Bohemian Rhapsody Oscar hype, maybe it's that this story could finish Singer in the way that Spacey's and Weinstein's allegations finished them.

Just a warning: The article has some pretty graphic language. In addition to the length, it's too potentially-triggering to just put out (or link to) without warning.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:39 pm

Yeah, I don’t get it
"If you are marching with white nationalists, you are by definition not a very nice person. If Malala Yousafzai had taken part in that rally, you'd have to say 'Okay, I guess Malala sucks now.'" ~ John Oliver

dws1982
Tenured

Postby dws1982 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Kevin Spacey to be charged with indecent assault, posts bizarre video

Bizarre is an understatement for what that video was.

Sabin
Tenured Laureate

Postby Sabin » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:50 pm

Greg wrote
This sounds like you were living in a movie co-directed by John Hughes and Martin Scorsese.

Shrug.

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:35 pm

Sabin wrote:That being said, this wasn’t a mentally well person. She faked having cancer to get her family to reunite around her after she had drive them away, and when she couldn’t keep her lies up committed suicide by shooting herself in the head. It was only after they got the autopsy did they learn she was faking her cancer for a year. She was an alcoholic drug addict who wasn’t well. I think about her a lot. At 16 (17 in a few months), glassesed, braced, I wasn’t ready for a relationship with this person. When I said “perhaps,” I meant an STD, but that isn’t life-destroying. As a child of the 90’s, I confess I still do have some of that programming with me.

Either way. This story is an overshare. Probably shouldn’t have done so. But I felt like sharing so up it stays.

This sounds like you were living in a movie co-directed by John Hughes and Martin Scorsese.
Bernie Sanders for President:

https://berniesanders.com/

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:00 am

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:You don't understand. It's not just a fact - it's perfectly normal, usually not violent, and psychoanalysis doesn't consider it a sickness or a pathology. The simple truth is that, at 17 (and actually even a bit earlier) we are very sexual and often healthily so. The idea that a law should prevent people from having sex at such an age is objectively absurd, but if you think it's right, good for you. What's less good is that you can seriously think that as many people have sex at 12 (which is not true) and that it's the same thing. No, there is a difference between 12 and 17 (ask many Venezuelan priests). Anyway, I have a solution for you, HarryGoldfarb - the age of consent should be 21, or maybe 25. Would you feel better?

Look, I may or may not agree with you, but I wasn't attacking you, so you do not need to resort to any form of counterattack. I just asked since I'm interested in your opinion. I never said "as many", that's your take on what I said but definitely not what I said. I said it's a fact... you used the "fact" card for your thesis so I used it for a simple reply. I wasn't taking any side on the matter (which obviously you didn't get it) so I'm not deffending a puritanic view on the matter. And what's with the recommendation of asking priests? I do not need the highest possible age of consent to feel better (????), but I still do not think you have answered the question (and you don't have to, of course).

I don't know what's the question honestly, and anyway, I'd like you to take A side.

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:50 am

Greg wrote:
HarryGoldfarb wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:”I've met people who had sex much later in their life and they WERE traumatized for having waited so long”.
What does this mean? Maybe they were traumatized because the experience itself was traumatizing. Haven’t you met people who waited what might be considered a little too long and still have a perfect sexual life?

It was a joke but, needless to say, you didn't get it.

Even though it was a joke, it is possible that you have known people who were traumatized by having grown up as social outcasts, which led them to being unable to have sex until later in life.

No, and I'm not judging anyone. But the view most members of this board have of sex is, I think, really scary, so my reaction may be sometimes a bit tough. But I really feel like I am surrounded by extraterrestials here :)

HarryGoldfarb
Assistant

Postby HarryGoldfarb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:44 pm

ITALIANO wrote:You don't understand. It's not just a fact - it's perfectly normal, usually not violent, and psychoanalysis doesn't consider it a sickness or a pathology. The simple truth is that, at 17 (and actually even a bit earlier) we are very sexual and often healthily so. The idea that a law should prevent people from having sex at such an age is objectively absurd, but if you think it's right, good for you. What's less good is that you can seriously think that as many people have sex at 12 (which is not true) and that it's the same thing. No, there is a difference between 12 and 17 (ask many Venezuelan priests). Anyway, I have a solution for you, HarryGoldfarb - the age of consent should be 21, or maybe 25. Would you feel better?

Look, I may or may not agree with you, but I wasn't attacking you, so you do not need to resort to any form of counterattack. I just asked since I'm interested in your opinion. I never said "as many", that's your take on what I said but definitely not what I said. I said it's a fact... you used the "fact" card for your thesis so I used it for a simple reply. I wasn't taking any side on the matter (which obviously you didn't get it) so I'm not deffending a puritanic view on the matter. And what's with the recommendation of asking priests? I do not need the highest possible age of consent to feel better (????), but I still do not think you have answered the question (and you don't have to, of course).

ITALIANO wrote:It was a joke but, needless to say, you didn't get it. So, since you asked, no, I don't think there is a "perfect" age one should start having sex. It's very personal, very individual.

Indeed, obviously I did not get it as a joke. Thanks for clarifying it...
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

Greg
Tenured

Postby Greg » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:08 pm

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:”I've met people who had sex much later in their life and they WERE traumatized for having waited so long”.
What does this mean? Maybe they were traumatized because the experience itself was traumatizing. Haven’t you met people who waited what might be considered a little too long and still have a perfect sexual life?

It was a joke but, needless to say, you didn't get it.

Even though it was a joke, it is possible that you have known people who were traumatized by having grown up as social outcasts, which led them to being unable to have sex until later in life.
Bernie Sanders for President:

https://berniesanders.com/

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 pm

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:Yes, but laws must generalize, and they can't be based on Sabin's - or other individuals' - sexual life. It's a fact, like it or not, that many have sex at 17. And they love it. And they aren't traumatized for life (but I've met people who had sex much later in their life and they WERE traumatized for having waited so long).

“It's a fact, like it or not, that many have sex at 17”.
Yes, it’s a fact... but just because it happens, laws must be made around this? It’s a fact too that “many” people have sex at 13, at 12...

You don't understand. It's not just a fact - it's perfectly normal, usually not violent, and psychoanalysis doesn't consider it a sickness or a pathology. The simple truth is that, at 17 (and actually even a bit earlier) we are very sexual and often healthily so. The idea that a law should prevent people from having sex at such an age is objectively absurd, but if you think it's right, good for you. What's less good is that you can seriously think that as many people have sex at 12 (which is not true) and that it's the same thing. No, there is a difference between 12 and 17 (ask many Venezuelan priests). Anyway, I have a solution for you, HarryGoldfarb - the age of consent should be 21, or maybe 25. Would you feel better?

HarryGoldfarb wrote:

It was a joke but, needless to say, you didn't get it. So, since you asked, no, I don't think there is a "perfect" age one should start having sex. It's very personal, very individual. But - how shall I put it - it's a fact that we do have a sexual instinct since we are teenagers, and we rcome of age (intellectually, not just legally) at around the sane time, so... well, I don't understand those who repress their sexuality and postpone their first sexual experience for years and years. I don't know if it's exactly pathological - in many cases it is, but not always maybe. But it's definitely an act of selfishness. And fear. And you know what? Often, the ones who are more obsessed with sex are those who don't dare to practice it. For me it's normal and has been normal since I was 16 or 17. I'm glad that I didn't wait till I was 30. I'd be a different man today, and not a better one, I know it.

HarryGoldfarb
Assistant

Postby HarryGoldfarb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:21 pm

ITALIANO wrote:Yes, but laws must generalize, and they can't be based on Sabin's - or other individuals' - sexual life. It's a fact, like it or not, that many have sex at 17. And they love it. And they aren't traumatized for life (but I've met people who had sex much later in their life and they WERE traumatized for having waited so long).

“It's a fact, like it or not, that many have sex at 17”.
Yes, it’s a fact... but just because it happens, laws must be made around this? It’s a fact too that “many” people have sex at 13, at 12...

”I've met people who had sex much later in their life and they WERE traumatized for having waited so long”.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)

ITALIANO
Emeritus

Postby ITALIANO » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:02 pm

Sabin wrote:That being said, this wasn’t a mentally well person. She faked having cancer to get her family to reunite around her after she had drive them away, and when she couldn’t keep her lies up committed suicide by shooting herself in the head. It was only after they got the autopsy did they learn she was faking her cancer for a year. She was an alcoholic drug addict who wasn’t well. I think about her a lot. At 16 (17 in a few months), glassesed, braced, I wasn’t ready for a relationship with this person. When I said “perhaps,” I meant an STD, but that isn’t life-destroying. As a child of the 90’s, I confess I still do have some of that programming with me..

Well, ok, you are right - you did the right thing then.

Sad story and tragic woman.

Return to “Current Events”